A Challenge to anyone who thinks they can troubleshoot..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by romeboards, Dec 22, 2007.

1. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    so heres the story.. tried switching a summerboard theme, got the spinning wheel. iPod did not restart. After 15 (literally) minutes of this, I tried turning it off to force restore. Now, It wont force restore at all, and any attempts at turning it on yields not only the apple loading logo, but also a spinning wheel of death accompanying it. Its been sitting here for another 30 min or so (I'm not one keen on asking for help). Anyone have any thoughts? Also, any tries at plugging the thing in doesnt change the matter, but it does start beeping incessantly.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

My guess about what happened is this:

1) You have not Restarted/Resprung your iPod in a little while, at least. Which, changing the theme this time caused to happen.
    2) Since the last time you resprung and this time, you installed one app or another that accesses something your iPod has, such as Toggle. Or you removed an app such as mail. It is most likely either one of those two causes.
    3) Respringing causes SpringBoard to recheck what's going on with things and update its status. Since at least one of the above two conditions have (most likely) been met, SpringBoard loads and looks for the missing app/hardware. Not finding anything, SpringBoard shuts back down to relaunch, thus causing this cycle known as the "Spinning Wheel of Death."

Had you not have rebooted your iPod, and if you knew which apps you added/removed, you'd've been able to simply SSH in and fix the problem. Unfortunately, since you have tried restoring, that is no longer an option, as WiFi will not be reenabled. your only real option is a forced restore. If that fails, then it is complete removal of iTunes, etc (making especially sure to remove applemobiledevice.dll). Once fully and completely uninstalled, reinstall iTunes, and you should be all set.

Before you try to do all that mess with iTunes, try restarting your computer, as that helps to restart the applemobiledevice driver. Yes, windows will let you restart it manually, but I prefer to restart the computer to be sure that I have all my bases covered.
  3. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hmm, interesting. I knew about the SWoD, but my iPod had been recently in use and I havent taken off any apps for a long time. What sucks is i just got a SWoD on the unjailbroken, freshly restored one too.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

That will usually happen when you have a left over Preference Bundle (such as the MobileMailSettings.bundle that caused so many headaches for so many people during the update to 1.1.2) that isn't called by the restore. iTunes deletes the app, as it isn't a standard iPod app, but leaves the bundle because it's in the media partition. Upon reboot, the preference bundle is called upon and can't find the app. ...you know the story from here.

This is why it is strongly suggested to not backup from iTunes saved backup on the computer, but to rather start fresh.
  5. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah, lesson learned. I saw backup and got excited, didn't know what I was up for. On well, it'll be a fun day tomorrow...
  6. 8gigaPodTouch

8gigaPodTouch New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iToggle?

Please Register or Log in to view images

that's make me weird, same issue here, after installing and not feel good about it i uninstall it again and got the "spinning wheel of death" but i manage my iPod and got it restored (wooossshhh)

p.s: is iToggle is really good?