A bunch of different questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ethiopian, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, so I've always been good with the SHSH blobs. Only when my ipod didn't connect to saurik's server (wouldn't let me downgrade to 3.1.2 for whatever reason) did I update to ios4. But today I went into Best Buy to trade in my ipod because the battery was acting funky. I had to restore (for obvious reasons, I can't bring in a fully-themed & tweaked 2G ipod with cydia on it into best buy) and when I walked in there this morning the geek squad guy was all "you know you don't have anything on this ipod, right? No music or apps or anything." So I had to say I was trying to repair the battery or something, which worked out in the end because now in 3-4 days I get a "like-new" ipod, although it's still the same model (I was really just trying to get the 4g one to be honest, my battery isn't THAT bad, but it was messed up ever since a third-party charger stopped charging the first time I charged after opening the thing).

So anyways, I read over the agreement before I signed it and it said best buy is allowed to update my software. This is probably if best buy / geek squad can fix your ipod by restoring, but still it got me thinking. If the "like-new" one comes loaded with 4.1, obviously I'm screwed and can't downgrade (there's some 4.0 only cydia tweaks I would really hate to see gone). But if it comes in 4.0, that's perfect. 3.1.2? That's where I'm wondering. If I get a 3.1.2 ipod (that's the factory software that comes on my model), would I be able to update to 4.0 instead of 4.1? Obviously I have no SHSH blobs, as it's brand new. But what seems more likely is that it will come out of the box in recovery mode and tell me to connect to itunes. I can't remember exactly what happens the first time you connect your ipod to itunes, but if I'm allowed to pick my software, well, I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably end up just connecting it to itunes 10 and use 4.1, just because the first time you use anything electronic, the first charge is vital (I know that too well after having battery troubles for over a year). Yet it comes "like-new", so does that mean that Joe Everyman plugged it into his computer, didn't like what he saw, and took it back? Or will I get my specific ipod back, because on the service order form it says:
    "Symptoms:
    Unit does not hold a charge. Please replace unit with a rapid exchange unit. DP"

Basically, what condition does a "like-new" ipod have? Is it checked for both hardware and software malfunctions? I usually don't buy used electronics that run on a (chargeable) battery for this reason. I don't know if it was charged to 100% when some guy first got it. Maybe they just replace good parts with a refurbished case / screen? Who knows.

Also, one last thing. Obviously my warranty is just about to expire.
    This is what it says.
    "Date of purchase: 11/08/2009
    Labor/Parts Coverage: MFG Warranty (space) MFG Warranty
    Labor/Parts End date: 11/08/2010 (This means the end of my (1 year) warranty, correct? Not the date I'm supposed to get my ipod back, right?)
    ETP Expiration Date: (blank)
    Estimated Completion Date: 11/01/2010 (Is this when I get it back, or do I wait until 11/01 for them to ship it?)

Sorry to bombard everyone with questions, but there's just a lot on my mind.
  2. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry, but does anyone have some more info on this subject?