A Book Reader

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by PCKid, Nov 24, 2007.

1. PCKid

PCKid New Member

Are any of the Book Reader apps worth it? Considering buying the Bookeen eRead for novels but the Touch would work well if they supported the Mobi books etc and Comics.
  2. CloudGaze

CloudGaze New Member

So far only two ways to read e-books on the Touch that I am aware of: Safari, and Books.app.

Books.app is worth it, if you got books formatted in HTML. I like the ability to adjust fonts and colors.

Generally, I would say that the Touch has the advantage (over most dedicated e-book readers) of being able to nicely display PDF's in portrait mode through Safari. Having that ability is a great plus for me as it spares me from getting yet another device that I have to charge and carry while traveling.

The Amazon Kindle (as fugly as it is, and current US-only availability) is getting a lot of hype though.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just FYI - the author of Books.app has kind of indicated that he expects someone to put out a commercial application for this once the SDK comes out. It's too bad because his software isn't bad... http://iphoneebooks.googlecode.com/
  4. PCKid

PCKid New Member

Yeah it is extra fugly. Who the F thought that design would appeal to people? I see open format eink book readers as the future. But they need backlight for bed reading, colour for comics, nice book covers and illustrated books and reasonable battery life.
  5. PCKid

PCKid New Member

So can you read pdfs on Safari offline? If so how? Where do you put them (don't be rude

Please Register or Log in to view images

) and how do you summon them after installing them?
  6. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    An easy way would be to install the lighttp server and put them in your local sites directory (/var/root/Sites or something). Then just redirect Safari to your local server like: 127.0.0.1/my.pdf and it should read it.
    If you want you can make a directory under the /var/root/Sites/ and put all your pdfs there. Then enable directory browsing on lighttpd and browse all your pdfs through safari.
  7. phil

phil New Member

I don't have a iPod Touch yet, so here's a thing I'd like to know: Can I jump to specific pages inside the Safari PDF reader? So lets say if I want to go to page 78 .. can I just enter "78" and it will go there?
  8. FlashiPod4Free

FlashiPod4Free New Member

Unfortunately, no! You have to keep scrolling.