A BLATANT copy of my icon!!!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by apolloshepard, Jul 14, 2008.

1. apolloshepard

apolloshepard New Member

PosiMotion, the company behind official application "Pool" on the Appstore has obviously seen the Pool icon that I made for the free jailbroken version a while back due to their icon looking awful, and they have just created a higher resolution version of mine with some texturing and smaller details.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at the comparison of my Pool icon compared to PosiMotion's Pool icon.

I originally made this icon and 43 other icons back in March, here is the release thread if you want proof.

Normally I wouldn't be angered by something like this, but it is so clearly plageurised. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I've been looking for contact information in order to complain to them as they are making money from this. Although they did create the game, they blatantly stole my icon design.

Attached Files:

2. Freefall

Freefall New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    wow, they did, you should try to contact them, you might be able to get a bit of their reveniews

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thats too bad. You won't be able to do anything about it. Sure you can complain to them about it but it's not like they would legally have to give you money or anything.
  4. stabbyjoe12

stabbyjoe12 Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    im not sure tbh could be a coincidence
    you can prove it either way
  5. bubs58

bubs58 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What are you going to tell them though, i hacked my ipod and that picture is mine, wouldnt telling apple you hacked it somehow go against you?
  6. nudded

nudded New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    c'mon really how much did they copy? not even the color scheme is the same.
    the ball is like 3 times bigger, and the pool table is generally a good icon for a pool game dont ya think?
    i see no problem
  7. apolloshepard

apolloshepard New Member

I've contacted them, sending the following email:

"I am writing to you in regards to your blatant plagiarism of the design of one of my icons I released in March 2008. The icon in question is for your Pool game, released for the ipod touch and iPhone through the Apple App Store on the 10th of July 2008. On the 28th of March 2008, I created an icon for the jail broken version of iPool, which is of an INCREDIBLY similar design to the official one you released with your Pool game 4 days ago. I included this icon in a pack called "Apollo's Icon Pack", hosted on a forum called Ipod Touch Fans Forums. Here is the link for proof: http://www.ifans.com/forums/...ad.php?t=52619

Now I don't know what leg your trying to pull here, but when a developer cannot be original with icon designs for his or her own applications, I find it a very sad state of affairs. I would like to hear some kind of an explanation for the similarities between my icon, and your icon. Do not waver this off with "oh we never knew, what an amazing coincidence", I have several people on the same forum agreeing to the obvious plagiarism which has taken place, when I posted a comparison of my pool icon and your pool icon. The link to the thread is here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/...ad.php?t=79227

If I do not receive a reply with an explanation, apology and some kind of solution to this theft, I am considering filing a formal complaint with Apple against your company for Outright Plagiarism.

I shall expect a reply within a week.

- Alex"
  8. kolko

kolko New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can i please say: LOL!
  9. igger

igger New Member

'Hey apple i hackz yo ipod and sum guy steel my design plz do sumtheeengg'

Do you own the copyright to that icon?
    And...

You jailbreak you cannot whine.

Shhhh
  10. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

You make it sound like the reason they've made all this money is through "your" icon, which I can't even see, due to me being on my iPod.