8GB Touch charges fine, then is dead by morning (and I mean DEAD!!).....return???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by redgtxdi, Feb 11, 2008.

1. redgtxdi

redgtxdi New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, I searched, but didn't find threads EXACTLY like this one, so here goes.........

Work got Touches for Christmas gifts.......(ya, nice)........but one lady hadn't done much w/ hers, so I told her I'd JB it for her so she could have some fun w/ it other than just music.

So, I noticed it was dead out of the box which I thought was weird, but I charged it Saturday, JB'd it, installed stuff, etc. Well, last thing I did last night was charge it all up, and put a couple movies on there.

Brought it back to work this morning to show her the new toy and.........it showed a little dead-battery w/ a sliver of red in it, asking to be plugged in and then turned off. I tried over & over, but the sucker definitely shows it's D-E-A-D!!!!!

This sucker was FULLY charges last night at 10pm & is dead at 8am this morning.

#1.) Is this a DOA touch??

#2.) If so, how do I hard restore w/o a computer so she can run it back to Costco & exchange it??

TIA!
  2. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Did you leave it plugged into the computer? Because if it is left plugged into a computer, and then the computer shuts off or goes to sleep, it discharges the battery. As for restoring without a computer, it aint possible. But if the thing won't turn on cuz its dead, then I don't think you need to worry about it.
  3. redgtxdi

redgtxdi New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks PB!!

No, it wasn't left plugged in. I actually had put it away back in its box and set it by my stuff for the morning so I didn't forget it. I think it's just got one of those bad batteries.

Sucks too 'cuz I did the full-on 45 minute 1.1.3JB and created a fully custom unlock screen w/ bars, sliders, mask.......pffft!! Murphy's law!?!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Somebody else here is gonna go home at lunch & bring back a charge cord & I'll kinda' test it & see if it does it again, then decide what to do.
  4. jls25

jls25 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    u got an icon telling u to plug it? thats weird..um..if u want to return it ..just do a restore wen u connect it to itunes, then go back to costco to exchange i guess
  5. bjlock

bjlock Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    yea if the computer goes to sleep it doesnt charge
  6. sumter554

sumter554 New Member

well like the others said, if the computer shuts off the ipod wont charge, ive had this happen before. so will it turn on if u plug it in?
  7. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Plug it in to an active USB port, then hold down the Home and power button together for 10 seconds or so to reboot it. Mine periodically looks the same way (totally dead battery) and this process revives it.

I think if safari or any of the web aps (like email, stocks, weather, etc.) aren't shut down they will drain the battery even when not left plugged in overnight. I've gotten into the habit of holding down the power button to turn it completely off now. When I forget I wake up with a very low or dead battery. You can shut apps all the way down by holding the home button for several seconds until they close. I know my mail app will show more mail waiting when I open it, so I think it is peridodically using wifi, even when the screen is off, to check accounts.

If you can't get it rebooted at all, you may indeed have a bad battery.
  8. wahidul89

wahidul89 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i think i know your problem, had the same thing happen to me. Basically when you was jailbreaking 1.1.3 throught the long method it asked you to set auto-lock to never. So maybe when you left the ipod the screen was on all-night and also wi-fi. I think you should check those two.
    Hope i helpt.