8gb iPod Touch ?gen help please!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AKAMacC, Jul 2, 2010.

1. AKAMacC

AKAMacC New Member

Hello and thanks for looking at this post and trying to help. I got a 8gb ipod touch from a friend who broke it trying to jailbreak it, he said he messed the keys codes or something up so now there is no way to get a computer to recognize it. I am just learning about this type of stuff but I have read a lot about it. here is what I can do with the ipod so far:

1. I can get it into recovery mode
    2. I can get it into DFU mode
    when it boots up normally, the apple logos appears then the thinking sign/sping thing goes and it seems to freeze right there. If I hold home it seems to make it think but I held home for 10 minutes and got nowhere.

When it's in recovery or DFU mode windows nor iTunes will recognize the device, I've tried diff computers (all but a mac), diff cords and reinstalling itunes. none will recognize the device. windows just keeps telling me "Unknown Device Detected!"
    I tried to manually install drivers (usbaapl.sys or whatever) but in the device manager it just has that yellow caution sign and itunes still wont pick it up to restore it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. thrq1161

thrq1161 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    propably the problem is the usb cable,,,use another one, then restore it
  3. billyjoel

billyjoel New Member

Reboot your computer
    Open iTunes Make sure you are doing DFU mode the right way, make sure it is on DFU mode and restore

Once you enter DFU mode iTunes should show the iPod like this

4. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, you can never BRICK an iPod. This happened to me! This exact thing! Put into DFU and Restore.
  5. AKAMacC

AKAMacC New Member

When I put it into DFU mode the screen is black and I hear windows make the new device detected sound. in the lower right hand corner a little pop-up show usb device not connected. I've tried DFU mode about a dozen times. i have never got itunes to look like that. I've tried it on windows XP and Windows 7.
    Has anymore make a third party app that detects the ipod and fully restores it instead of using itunes to do it?
    Thxs for the quick Replys!!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    would u mind explaining your methods of getting the ipod into DFU mode. just in case I'm not doing it right. those r the most detailed pictures i've seen out of all the post I've read.
  6. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1. First, Open up iTunes, plug in your iPod Touch/iPhone to the CPU's USB port. Turn on your CPU's speaker and make sure it is loud enough that you can hear it.

2. Hold down the Home button (the front button) and the Power button (top left for iPod Touch and top right for the iPhone with the screen facing you)) simutaneously, until the screen goes black and the device turns off. (past the red slider/slide to power off screen)

3. Now let go of the Power button, but continue to hold the Home button. Your iPod Touch/iPhone should have turned off and the screen should not be on.

4. After around ~10-20 seconds, you will hear a noise (beep/ding) from your CPU as if it had just recognized a new hardware device, now iTunes should recognize it in DFU mode.

5. After iTunes recognizes the iPod Touch/iPhone, let go of the Home button otherwise it will go into recovery mode and you will have to do the entire DFU process over again.

6. You will know when you have put your iPod Touch/iPhone correctly into DFU mode when the display is blank and that you do not have anything on your device.

NOTE: I DID NOT MAKE THIS IT WAS FROM http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?p=6889
    I JUST GOOGLED.
  7. AKAMacC

AKAMacC New Member

See I've done that what feels like a million times

i get windows to make the "found new device" sound and windows picks it up but has no idea what it is that it picked up. iTunes just sits there doing nothing, gonna try a new usb cord thats the only thing I haven't tried.
  8. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just take it to Apple and hopefully they will fix it or give you a replacement.
  9. billyjoel

billyjoel New Member

@ AKAMacC

mmm...
    The screen is supposed to be black when you are on DFU mode

-Uninstall and reinstall iTunes (just in case any files got corrupted)
    -Reboot your computer
    -Turn on the iPod even if it gets stuck on the boot logo (just leave it there like that)
    -Open iTunes
    -Plug the iPod to the computer

Now
    1. Hold the power and home button at the same time
    2. When it shuts off quickly release the power button and KEEP holding the home button until until you enter DFU mode iTunes will respond with
    THIS

Video Tutorial
  10. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Go to the apple store.Don't deal with this worthless tech while doing hours of work by yourself.