8gb iPod 3g is the same as 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jengo, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Jengo

Jengo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So I keep reading around the web that the 8gb iPod 3g is the same as 8gb iPod 2g is this true?

If this is true then apple lied to me and I want my money back, I just paid 200 for the same unit I already had. this is no upgrade it's the same damn unit. I thought I was getting upgraded memory and CPU speed. This is some fraud BS.
  2. AsianSpark

AsianSpark Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'm not sure too.
    I think the internals upgraded abit or something

the only thing I know is when I get it out of the box, it has 3.1 in it already.

EDIT

Yes the iPod touch 3G 8GB is exacly the same as the 2G 8GB.
    The internals are exactly the same as stated by iFixit
    The only thing updated is the price and the 3.1 firmware.

I HATE APPLE!
  3. Jengo

Jengo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    /facepalm

oh well.... Life goes on...

I feel raped lol, I just don't understand why they call it 3g then. I thought that meant third generation. Damn marketing bastards suckerd me in again...
  4. AsianSpark

AsianSpark Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Me too. I thought the 3G has the new broadcom chip
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You merely bought the same unit for cheaper. It's true that the 8GB did not receive any updates, like the 3G 32gb and 64gb. Sorry, but, technically Apple's site advertises it as a cheaper way to get into the App Store, not an upgrade.
  6. theBreeze

theBreeze New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i think apple wasn't lie...
    because in their site, they never told about the new ipod touch 8GB is a brand new or a new generation of ipod touch. and they weren't also put the 'new' icon in ipod touch 8GB..
    you better check it out...
    the different stories happened in ipod touch 32&64GB..
    it's faster..

CMIIW
  7. Jengo

Jengo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes I realize that, but that still doesn't exlplain to me why they decided to change the 2g to 3g when there is no difference In the hardware. That is a rather irritating marketing gimmick that is a little misleading. There is nothing 3g about this iPod I don't know why they decided to flip the name on us.
  8. ReD-SpideR

ReD-SpideR New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    its only the MC models of the 8gig 2/2.5/3G's that dont work.
    check your settings>about> Model:
  9. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol. really, dont you do any research on a product before you spend 200 bucks? really? its hard to feel sorry for someone who goes out and buys a brand new ipod without actually knowing what it is. im sorry, im mad at apple because, imo, the 3g touch sucks (i know its faster, but thats all...), but not because people like you just go out and buy something cuz its new.
  10. Jengo

Jengo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It was my birthday, we went to the store to choose something I didn't know what to get so I said to myself "hey what's some stuff I like" my first answer was iPod touch, I then started wondering "hey maybe there is a new iPod touch I really like my older one but it's gotten pretty banged up" so I look Around and see that there is this new 8gb iPod touch 3g I remembered mine was 2g so It gave me even more incentive to buy. Never in a million years would I have thought that apple made no real changes to 8gb iPod 3g even though they changed the name from 2g to 3g. Normally when electronics companies change the model name of a product especially a numerical increment it usually implies change to hardware, you cannot deny that fact.

The fact that they renamed the hardware without making any real changes is frustrating and confusing to me as a customer. I don't give a damn what it says on their website when you are in a situation like mine sometimes you just don't get the chance to do the research.