iOS 4.0 8GB 3rd Gen Updates

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ownerofspam, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Has anyone else considered that they're going to allow these to multi-task for the sole purpose that it gives them a reason to update and not jailbreak?

Why do I think this?

Because a 3g 8GB can restore using the 2g's firmware, due to it having the same hardware.

Hypothetical situation:
    we jailbreak 4.0
    Apple puts out 4.0.1 with the sole purpose to patch the exploit
    Someone with a 8GB accidentally upgrades
    They decide not to downgrade using 2g firmware so they can have multi-tasking and other 'exclusive features'.

Does anyone else see it playing out like this?
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, 8gb 3G models won't even have multi-tasking. But yea, I see Apple adding these features to get rid of our reason to jailbreak.
  3. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    8GB mc model ipod touch is NOT 3rd gen, people fail to realize that
    they have the SAME hardware as the 2nd gen at exception of the crippled bootrom

8gb mc model ipod touch is a "late 2g mc model"
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Nope because it is a late 2g mc model which wont have ever multitasking supported by apple
  4. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know your on a whole addiction with posting this, which is ok.

But.

Recent iPod Touch 8GB have been shipped and are no longer able to use iPod Touch 2g firmware, due to a new check done with the ECID it disallows Cola's old method. Therefor, they are NOT the same, because they are going to forcibly run on 3g firmware. They will have multi-tasking.
  5. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you don't realize you are so utterly wrong
    your whole logic is flawed

more security doesn't mean better hardware, what you are saying is not confirmed, i have helped a handful of people who just bought a 8gb mc model to downgrade/jailbreak

8gb mc models dont have faster cpu, dont have more ram, dont have upgraded gpu
    8gb mc models WONT be supported by apple multitasking, do i need to link you to the keynote

8gb mc model ipods are NOT compatible with 3g firmware, that it is just a myth flowing around the forums, i tried restoring my friends 8gb mc model ipod touch with a 3g firmware and apple told me it was not compatible

Please Register or Log in to view images

The whole reason why apple doesn't support multitasking on 2nd gen devices is because on the lower amount of ram and processing power
  6. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Ahhh why do u care. Isn't the point of jailbreaking to break the bonds of apple and do w/e the hell we want. That counts for things not supported
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I agree with you
  8. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Thanks! Thats one in 6 billion there

9. MonkeyBoy191

MonkeyBoy191 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Multitasking!!

hi peeps for those who are still believing that the new 4.0 firmware will give the 8GB "3rd Gen" (although i agree its just a 2nd gen but anyway) multitasking, this is from the apple site.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

i hope that this helps.

i am not exactly happy about this as i have the 8GB early 2009 model and even if i go get a new 8GB tomorrow it still wont have multitasking.

the only way i will get it is if i splash out £229 and get the 32GB version which i just can't do.

so ye im not to happy with this but there little i can do about it, i just hope that there is some smart person out there that will be able to create a JB version that does almost the same instead of the versions we have at the moment.
  10. PearPod

PearPod Member

I'm glad I forked out extra for a 32GB.
    I was vaguely informed that the 8GB didn't have the hardware updates. And no microphone headset ruined it for me as well (not that I used it often, but its nice to have the option).

Since the 8GB isn't officially supported (as far as I am aware) I can safely say I made a good purchase. Although on the other hand, I'm still waiting on jailbreak. I want that GBA emulator bad.