8G touch How many songs in practice?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mattbod, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mattbod

Mattbod New Member

Hi I am new to the site and am just wondering if apples claims of 1750 songs on an 8g touch is a little ambitious. I have downloaded 4 albums of itunes (about five hours of music) and the info on available memory states that I have 6.3 g of 7 available. Doing the maths I am going to get much less than apple claim on the device (which I love in all other respects).

I know you can reduce the size of imports bu converting to MP3 but these files have been bought direct from the site.

Any useful advice? If so could you keep it simple as I am not that computer savvy

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

It would depend on the file size of the songs. I have ≥720, and it's taken about 4.3GB.

They never did anything say about the quality, size, compression, and length of those "1750" songs. Not that I heard anyways.
  3. photographer86

photographer86 New Member

Yep pretty much what everyone else said. Depending on the file size of your song. I Usually put my file size per song at 128 kpsc. I do this because I play on my home stereo system and its close to cd quality. I will sometimes do 96 which is suppose to be close fm radio broadcast which would have a good signal from the station. Plus if your only using headphones then put them to 96 kbps because your only using headphones. Won't notice much sound quality. Well atleast I don't. Or you could save up a few extra bucks and by a 16gb or 32gb touch. All depends what you want to do...

Peace man.
  4. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

You must be using an extremely high bit rate! I have like 5 days of music and it totals just over 8GB. So if I can get 5 days in just over 8GB, then you must be able to get more then 4 or 5 hours on 6.3GB.
  5. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    at most, i can fit 1,283 songs.

6. Mattbod

Mattbod New Member

Yup apparently I am as i rang a computer geek friend of mine and he said itunes songs are now 256 bit: hence using a lot of memory. One question, how do you set at 96 bit. When I go to import settings in itunes, the lowest seems to be 128 bit. i am going to convert the tracks bought into 128 bit aac using advanced as that will free up more space. I have backed up the better quality files on disc. Will play around and see what happens but would be grateful if someone could tell me how to set the 96 bit rate on itunes.
  7. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try going to Custom, under the bitrates.

AAC

128kbps (High Quality)
    256kbps (Higher Quality)
    Custom

Then select 96kbps as the "Stereo Bitrate"
  8. Mattbod

Mattbod New Member

Sorted Matt so thanks for that and everyone else too!

9. Rocketpaul

Rocketpaul New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I got 1115 with 1.5gb left. Converted to 128kbps aac
  10. gymtonic

gymtonic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I only got around 700... But that's because most of them are in 320 and are longer songs than normal.
    But because I have more than 8GB, I create a Smart Playlist selecting 500 random songs and re-sync every Sunday