802.1x trouble with beta 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by dixontoby, Apr 7, 2008.

1. dixontoby

dixontoby New Member

Hi, i'm having some trouble connecting to my uni network, which uses 802.1x protection. I get to the username and password screen enter all that, then it gets to the normal certificate screen i press accept, but then says 'unable to connect' or something along those lines. Any suggestions?

Cheers
  2. radioboy

radioboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Your device may not be authorized for the network, does your university have any kind of check system you have to go through? Here we have spyware and antivirus checks that have to be verified. So to get mine to work I had to spoof my ipod MAC address onto my desktop computer and get it authorized.
  3. dixontoby

dixontoby New Member

At my uni you have to connect to the network initially then the only website you will be able to access is the registration one to allow your computer. You fill in a few details then switch off the computer for 20 mins. After that it just works, using a supplied password. With the ipod touch it doesn't connect initially. The fact that it brings up the certificate details is promising however.
  4. Muralha

Muralha New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Testing at my university too, so far no good.
    The "accept certificate button" looks down and probably is not downloading the file.

Trying again tomorow. I'll post more details...
  5. VanillaIcee

VanillaIcee New Member

I have a question? Are you connecting to an 802.1x WEP network?

And if so, does it prompt you for username/password when you try to connect?

Because my 802.1x WEP network only asks for a password and I can find no way to manually set the username and password. Is my network misconfigured someway?
  6. dixontoby

dixontoby New Member

I think it is a 802.1x network because when the login box pops up on a mac it has a drop down box saying something like '802.1x configuration - automatic'. Yeah it does ask for a username and password. Are you sure you are trying to connect to the right one? My uni uses 3, the other two i don't know what are for, but they only ask for a password.
  7. VanillaIcee

VanillaIcee New Member

Yeah its definitely 802.1x but when I use my mac here you can't connect to it.. it asks for a WEP password.

But you can set it up manually on the mac and choose type in the same SSID and choose 802.1x WEP and it works.

I think it's because idiots work in the IT department here. So the network doesn't announce itself as an 802.1x network, just as WEP. Unfortunately unlike the mac, the beta currently does not allow me to enter a manual 802.1x WEP network.

Those IT Bastards... anyways, anyone know where these settings are stored on the iPod/iPhone? Obviously I can't store my password but maybe I can set it as an 802.1x instead of WEP and it will prompt me for my username in addition to the password
  8. VanillaIcee

VanillaIcee New Member

Well i tracked down where the settings for networks that are stored on the iPod/iPhone:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.wifi.plist

Can anyone who has successfully connected to an 802.1x network post the settings for that network from the above file?

Cus I see settings that I may be able to change, like authMode and WEPAUTHFlags but I have no idea what marks an 802.1x network.

Oh well I'll probably wait until apple allows manual 802.1x networks.
  9. Muralha

Muralha New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    No good...

Please Register or Log in to view images

The APs at my uni are all hidden and the 2.0 beta can't get a stable connection.
    Sometimes it finds the network, but 5 to 10 seconds later it scans again and the network is almost down or lone.

Does someone knows how can i configure the wireless config files?

Trying tomorrow to get the log...
  10. Muralha

Muralha New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Some information I got from google...

iPhone & iPod Touch don't work with eduroam (wifi network of the univs of europe), because username uses the '@' symbol and/or don't support EAP-TTLS.

The univ of Cardiff in UK has a solution, web login.

If someone knows how to use/configure the intermmediary certificates (pem or der format), get it here http://www.lan.kth.se/kthopen/wpa/ and try it.