802.1x Support

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Jeffx28, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Jeffx28

Jeffx28 New Member

This is no new topic there has been a few threads about this before, but I will put this here to see if anyone can offer any help.

The problem:
    Touch doesn't support 802.1x encryption, which is used by many universities and businesses, therefore disables us to access such wifi connections.

The solution:
    This from what i have found is a software issue, many of us who are dealing with the problem have already wrote apple support, including myself, pleading with them to fix this problem. Or we can try to implement this ourselves:

It is known that that the iPod Touch uses a form of OSX, and it has similarities with the OSX that runs on Macs. Macs are able to set up a 802.1x connection via Internet Connect. So my question to someone who knows more than I do is how does the Touch control it's wifi compared to a Mac and if the Internet Connect software in Tiger can be used to make the Touch connect through 802.1x.

The following is pic of an Internet Connect directory from the Mac OSX:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Here a few links to other discussions about this topic for those who are interested,
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8312&highlight=802.1x

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=369242

http://www.thebetaplace.net/iPhone/iPhone.html
    I need to find out more about this one above

I will update if I find anything out,
    Jeff
  2. aasimbeck

aasimbeck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    im not sure but the ipods wifi reciever/transmiter might not support this
  3. Jeffx28

Jeffx28 New Member

802.1x is just authentication, it can support the connection, but it cannot get authorization from the network.

A friend of mine works with computing support at my school, so he and are going to look into this to see if there might be a way to make it happen.
  4. Lyrad

Lyrad New Member

That would be amazing! Good luck guys! I wish I could help...because 802.1x is something that should've been included from the start!!
  5. Jeffx28

Jeffx28 New Member

I may have found a way to login to a 802.1x/PEAP (as this is what my school uses)

I am at school now and just registered my MAC with the network and I got my password and username.

I will update tomorrow.....

Jeff
  6. Lyrad

Lyrad New Member

Any news on this subject? Did it work out?
  7. Jeffx28

Jeffx28 New Member

I am still working on it, my buddy is looking into it he works at computing support at my school. I am in the middle of studying for finals, so I am not devoting a huge amount of my time to this right now, but I really hope I, or someone else can figure out a way to make this work.

Jeff
  8. Base

Base New Member

Does it work right now? Any news?
  9. alu

alu New Member

Porting wpa_supplicant should do the trick, right?
  10. chopshop

chopshop New Member

My school also uses 802.1x or Cisco VPN, and as of last week they have listed a way to use the VPN setting of the iPhone(or jailbroken iPod Touch with iPhone apps) to connect. I tried here and it works!

This is what they said to do, you'll need server info for your own network:
    {
    The RPI Wireless network requires users to authenticate, either via 802.1X/PEAP (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol) or via a Cisco VPN client. Currently, there is no support in the Apple iPhone for these mechanisms and, therefore, there is no way to connect an iPhone to RPI's wireless network. This situation has been noted at other universities that use Cisco networking equipment.

Update (12/6/07): Below are instructions that may allow you to connect to RPI's wireless network. Note that this method is unsupported.

* Connect to the RPI wireless network in settings, wifi.
    * Once you are connected, go to Settings --> general --> network --> VPN --> Settings
    * Select PPTP.
    * Enter your information:
    o Server: VPN.wl.rpi.edu
    o Account: your RCS userID
    o RSA SecurID: off
    o Password: your RCS password
    o Encryption level: Maximum
    o Send all traffic: on
    o Proxy: off
    * Click Save.
    * Connect to VPN.
    }