802.11n and the iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DaTruB, Sep 17, 2010.

1. DaTruB

DaTruB New Member

Hey guys, basically I got a new router which has 802.11g/b/n capabilities and I've been finding my ipod is EXTREMELY slow wifi wise. My 2nd generation works fine, but my 4g is just ridiculously slow.

So I tinkered with the router and changed the interface type to 802.11g/b and voila, it worked.

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can solve it? The iPod should be compatible with n wifi...
  2. Nilkin

Nilkin New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Same is happening to me as well DaTruB, my Ipod touch 2g works fine but my new Touch 4g will work on my Sagem router but its really slow I ran a few checks on it found I was getting a ping of 4000-12000..

I have a Wireless repeater router Edimax AP works fine on this, I find it very weird...
  3. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For compatibility, routers broadcast on the lowest speed of any attached device. A B/G/N router paired with a G device will bump everyone down to G.

Second, some routers (I suspect the earliest N routers to hit the market) have problems handling N speeds when set to B/G/N, and only perform close to 300mbps when set to "N only". Otherwise, N devices can get timeouts, poor connections, and slow speeds.

A way around these headaches is often to employ two routers: one for N only and a B/G for everyone else (on a subnet).
  4. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It's probably because the N networking is set to 5.0GHz, as opposed to the iPod's which is 2.4GHz just like b and g networking is, but it is slightly faster, but not by much.
  5. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The iPT 4G's single-band chip doesn't support 5GHz. They wouldn't have slow or intermittent service; it wouldn't connect at all.
  6. DaTruB

DaTruB New Member

ah thanks guys, I'll just leave it to g/b. I hardly got any n enabled devices anyway!
  7. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you need a special router to get 802.11 on your iPod touch? And what is the point of it? Does it just make things move faster?
  8. mitchem

mitchem Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Also what type of encryption is used on your router? If it's WEP then your iPT would be connecting at a slower rate as 'N' isn't supported with that. You would need to change the encryption to WPA/WPA2 to get a wireless N connection.
  9. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    A/B/G/N are all part of the 802.11 standard. 802.11n ("N") can support speeds up to 300mbps, which is useful if you have, say, a ridiculously fast FIOS connection. You don't want your 54mbps 802.11g ("G") or 11mbps 802.11b ("B") router to act as a bottleneck.

N routers are great for HTPCs, iPod Touch 4Gs, and other networked devices to talk to each other and transfer files incredibly fast across a home network.

But if you just want to "get online" with your iPT 4G, you don't "need" N speeds at all. Many ISPs still offer DSL/Broadband speeds slower than a G router anyway.
  10. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

I'm not concerned about speed of 802.11n (as explained above), but what about range? Have people noticed improved ranges?