7 Beautiful Alternatives to the Current iOS 7 Icons

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Jun 18, 2013.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    To be completely honest, I prefer the iOS 7 stock icons over these other icons...
    GrygrFlzr and DiLui007 like this.
  3. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Quality article. I'm liking Ariel's or Louie's, very cool.
    Joe Rossignol likes this.
  4. makeitso1

makeitso1 4000th Follower of iFans on Facebook

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    To be honest, I like the design of all the iOS 7 apps more than their iOS 6 counterparts (save for Music and Maps), but the iOS 6 icons are 5,000x better. That's one area where you have to put away the bulldozer. Dimensional icons are way better than paper cutouts that someone dropped all over your home screen. They need shadows and so do their labels. I was looking forward to not jailbreaking, but now I'll have to in order to get Zephyr and shadows back.
    Joe Rossignol likes this.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I completely agree about the shadows on the text for the status bar and app labels. It looks bad in current form.
  6. makeitso1

makeitso1 4000th Follower of iFans on Facebook

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)

They could be doing a lot more to optimize the look. For example, folders with only four apps could display each of the four apps as 1/4 of the folder icon (hard to explain the idea) much as the Hangouts app does. Also, clarifying what Slide to Unlock means for new users, and removing the misleading Control Center arrow that has fooled everyone I know into swiping upwards like on BlackBerry 1o.
  7. samw40

samw40 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I would prefer almost any of those concepts over the current icons.
    3mooonuel and Pandawg like this.
  8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    What, specifically, about these icons make them better than what Apple is currently pushing to developers in iOS 7b1? I'm legitimately interested -- I'm no designer.

I also wonder if we've reached the point that any icons that Apple ships with iOS 7 will be considered "bad," and that "different" is being confused with "superior."
  9. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Matthew Skiles by far did the best job. He didn't destroy the Safari icon like the others did.
    3mooonuel likes this.
  10. samw40

samw40 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I just want consistency. I mean you've got great icons like Calendar and Clock, but then you've got the App Store and iTunes Store icons. My problem with them is the fact that the lines that make up the iTunes and App Store symbols aren't the same thickness as the line that makes up the circle in each one. Then you've got the Photos app, where the fact that the colored image is placed on a white icon creating a border makes it look bad. Then there's the Camera and Settings apps, where the two gradients aren't the same yet are so close, and the dark grey used in the centers of each of those two icons is a different shade in each one. And while the Camera icon has a decent idea behind it, the Settings app image doesn't make sense and looks more like a steering wheel than gears. Then there's Game Center, which... well, when we talk about consistency, Game Center is like a clown walking into a tuxedo convention. I don't like the way the lines hit the edge of the icon in Reminders, but that's just me. The dark Stocks and Compass icons don't make sense with the bright color scheme, and the Contacts app is literally the only part of iOS 7 with a shadow in it. I like the Music icon's neon look, and Videos is okay as well. Newsstand breaks rule #1 of designing an icon: Never include text in the icon unless it is absolutely necessary or it serves a function (a weather/calendar app). Everything else is pretty much okay.

My point is, while some people might be afraid of change in iOS, there are legitimate problems with the icons, and hopefully people will realize when they've been fixed.
    Ambience and Joe Rossignol like this.