64gb iPod Touch 3G Issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joehays, Mar 30, 2010.

1. joehays

joehays Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    My iPod's lock button is broken and I need to take it to an apple store to get it repaired. I'm jailbroken on 3.1.2 so I need to restore. I can't restore regulary because 3.1.2 isnt signed anymore. I cant put my iPod into DFU mode without my power button though, so how can I do a restore on my iPod.
  2. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You have to do a regular restore regardless. DFU won't get past the signing stage.
  3. joehays

joehays Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay so what do you suggest that I do
  4. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Just do a regular restore, it doesn't require DFU mode; iTunes will put the iPt in recovery mode as required and perform the update. Plug it in and let iTunes just get it over with.

You're going to get a replacement with 3.1.3 on it regardless so, it's either keep using it in the current broken condition or get it replaced and lose the JB capability.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. joehays

joehays Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    oh okay, I didn't know they gave you back a 3.1.3 one, guess ill stay in my current condition
  6. br0adband

br0adband New Member

They don't do repairs on these things, they just check it out, make sure what you're complaining about is actually broken/defective, then they grab the same model/generation and give it to you on the spot, device for device basically, as long as the warranty is valid and you've got the proof they require (receipt, ID info from the purchase, whatever, etc).

So you turn in the old busted one, get a brand new one - there is some very very small chance you could get a 3.1.1 or 3.1.2 build but, it's highly doubtful these days.
  7. joehays

joehays Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ok thanks, i just called my apple store and they said that they had models running 3.1.2, now i need to restore it still when i go to restore it i get an error saying that the device isnt "eligible for the requested build" and yes, I am sure that I have the right 3.1.2 firmware for my device.
  8. br0adband

br0adband New Member

It's trying to force you to upgrade to 3.1.3 so go ahead and do it - you're going to get it replaced anyway so there's no reason to care what firmware is on it when you take it into the store if you'll be leaving with a new one running 3.1.2.

Just click Restore and let iTunes grab 3.1.3 from Apple's servers directly and get it over with.
  9. joehays

joehays Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ok my only problem was if for some reason they didnt want to replace it saying that I broke it under something thats not under warranty then i wouldnt want to be stuck with 3.1.3, so is there any possibility of doing it I have the SHSHs backed up I just figured that thered be some way to do it
  10. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Yah, but the SHSH is only valid for *that specific iPod touch* you're taking in to get replaced; if you did happen to get a 3.1.3 unit as a replacement, the SHSH would be useless and you'd still be stuck at 3.1.3.

I would - when you get to the store - absolutely and undeniably verify the replacement has 3.1.2 on it, make them show you the unit before you commit to the return, if having 3.1.2 is that important to you.

If the replacement shows 3.1.2 and it's a straight swap,, you're home free. If not, well... you'll figure it out.

Please Register or Log in to view images