6 reasons why the Zune HD is no competition for iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carfreak95, Sep 7, 2009.

1. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  2. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    They have a lot of good points there. OT: What's the biggest zune hd can you get?
  3. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Apple rapes Microsoft..... again
  4. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I 2nd that ^
  5. masterxchief46

masterxchief46 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Biggest is 32gb, but they might update it a few months down the road with a 64gb like they did with their other zunes.
  6. The Killswitch

The Killswitch Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Yeah, I really don't like to just throw away the apps I paid for. I do like the exterior design on the HD, however. Internal design is a bit lacking though. Multiple sub-menus are no fun.

$10 says Germany is gonna back the Zune up any minute now

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Germany

Germany Banned

*Restrains himself* *Can't resist* Okay, do you send the $10 to my house? Lol.

I read through the article and it is pretty well thought up, but I would like to make some comments on each section. You guys need to understand that I am not a Zune HD fanboy. I hate fanboys. What I am trying to do is broaden everyone's knowledge, take off the blinders, and show you how in some situations, iPods aren't always the best. I am not being biased, but rather pointing out the facts and giving my educated opinions.

1. This is a valid reason. I'd like to say however that the iPod touch didn't have a well developed app catalog when it started out either. These catalogs (or stores) take time to mature, gain developer interest, and result in good applications that people want to use. Anyone want to just sit back and see what happens to Zune applications? I sure do. I think they have a good future if Microsoft gets things done sooner rather than later.

2. I do agree that the Zune HD interface has some faults to start out with. The clock and battery indicator should be somewhere on the screen. I do however thing that once applications start to become a more prominent feature of the Zune HD that Microsoft will further optimize the menu for them. A simple fix that I think would work is to swipe to the right and have a grid similar to the iPhoneOS or some Android phone UIs. They could also include some widgets which would surely be better than what the iPods and iPhones have (or lack) in that department. Adding the clock and battery indicator would also be a simple fix for a quick firmware upgrade. Who knows, they might even be in the final firmware when the Zune HD is released.

3. I hope we all noticed that this is an older article. The browser is not branded as IE and it certainly doesn't feel like IE. It's not the best mobile browser I've seen (Opera Mobile is the best in my opinion) but it is pretty good. Sure they should have it pretty much complete by launch but theres always room for improvement (Apple I'm talking to you about some features...).

4. See number one. What were they thinking? Just include that with number one and be done with it.

5. See number four. Man this article is getting easy to comment on.

6. It should be available in more places. I agree. They have hinted about a UK launch which I do expect to see, but it should be launched there in the first place. UK people deserve to see what the Zune HD is like!

The Zune HD has gotten a lot right, and it still has some improvements that need to be made. But hey, who said the iPod was perfect? Neither are perfect. Things to watch: applications, firmware upgrades, 64GB model (!!!), availability.
  8. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    @Germany

Well said.
  9. Sunkist

Sunkist Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Germany pretty much nailed it
  10. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    However, as Germany said, since many improvements need to be made, then why would you want it over the ipod touch when it doesn't lack as much. I'm positive in the future the HD will be amazing because of user feedback (aka Germany

Please Register or Log in to view images

), but for now, I see many flaws.