5 Things That NEED To Happen To iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by greenphlem, Jun 8, 2010.

1. greenphlem

greenphlem New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    even after yesterdays anouncement of iPhone 4 there is still alot of things that must be implemented on iphone. so have an open ,and and read on.

iPhone has seen many updates over these past 5 years, but the core operating system has stayed the same. With competing operating systems, such as Android, webOS, and the upcoming BlackBerry 6.0, Apple needs to change their game to keep up with the much more advanced OS’s out there. And with that, here’s my list of 5 things that need to happen to the iPhone OS.

1. A redesigned SpringBoard
    Apple has set the standard back when the iPhone came out in 2007 with the way we interacted with touch-screen devices, and with the advent of new and better home screens/menus, I think it’s only appropriate for Apple to raise the bar yet again.

2. More access to iPhone services
    Although iPhone OS 4.0 has access to more of the iPhones’ stock features, Apple still restricts developers with the services they’re allowed to take advantage of, with Android being so open source and has all of its services available for said developers. Apple should really consider that fact.

3. Better app review system
    As I stated before, competing smartphone company Google and their Android devices have absolutely no app review system (which almost persuaded me to get one of those phones). But the same can’t be said for iPhone app developers. The app review system is broken and needs to be fixed or taken out completely just like Android, because one of the appeals of jailbreaking is getting apps not usually on the app store such as an emulator (going back to Android, their store does have emulators@). If Apple allowed things like that, they would stop alot of people from hacking their devices.

4. Flash!
    Now this is a controversial subject that Apple will probably never add, but it’s worth a shot… Apple and their push to switching to HTML5 is a nice try, but they wouldn’t need to do that if they added Flash compatibility to their handheld devices. Only 40% of video on the web is on YouTube so you are missing out on the other 60% that is using Flash players. It’s already on jailbroken phones so Apple can’t say it is impossible to do.

5. A physical keyboard
    I know this is a dumb one, but it affects a lot of us iPhone and iPod Touch users whether you know it or not. The inclusion of a keyboard would stp al teh speling mistkes that are made using the on-screen keyboard. Most other touch-screen phones have them so it’s time to get on the bandwagon Apple!

Before you comment saying that this list is BS, this is my personal list so I’m not forcing you to agree 100% with me.

If you would like, leave me your list in the comments below.
  2. Duykur

Duykur Banned

1. Why redesign something for the sake of it? the iPhone has the best (IMHO) UI of any mobie device, and I rather they keep it that way

2. What services does apple restrict use to?

3. What's wrong with the app review system?

4. I rather not have flash than have flash

5. Physical keyboards are the devil.
  3. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Did you read Apple 'Thoughts on Flash' yet?

If they would make one of these it'd be better to have it as a add-on, not as a part of the device it self adding weight and bulkiness to people who don't need it.

Apple is like that, they want you to follow them, not them following you.

I would like something like this, maybe like iconoclasm?
  4. greenphlem

greenphlem New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. they restrict acsess to the filesystem and use of camera in safari among other things

2. apps are sometimes rejected for no reason, the sore is just plain broken

3. why? flash is beast and would allow a whole sh*t load of stuff

4. its better than messing up every like 4 seconds
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    its just my wishes
  5. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    1. I agree, the SpringBoard can use a redesign, but a redesign would change things too much. People are already used to it. It would be pointless to change it. However, I would like to see multitasking built right into the dock similar to the superdock in Circuitous.

2. Again, I agree, Apple does keep many things private. However, the only frameworks they stop you from using is the Calendar framework (I may be wrong).

3. Apple's review system is flawed and corrupt. But it's not going to change, don't count on it.

4. Flash will NEVER happen on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Apple is highly against it. Also, it has been proven that Flash does work sluggishly on mobile devices, Android has support but it isn't that great. It's slow, and lags.

5. The iPhone will NEVER have a physical keyboard. That's one of the things about the iPhone, the physical keyboard is old technology. With the onscreen keyboard, you can add keys as needed as technology changes.

Basically summing it up, nothing will change in the iPhone OS. Updates will be done to add functionality, but other than that, nothing will DRASTICALLY change.
  6. Bok Choy

Bok Choy Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    This thread is pointless. A giant pile of steaming fail.
  7. greenphlem

greenphlem New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    uhh how so?
  8. TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yeah sort of getting annoyed with the 1. 2. 3. crap. But yes, I would agree that I would hate to have flash, considering it makes things crash. :| Just like Safari. SOB. That's the ONLY reason Safari freezes/crashes on me. Flash. Wtf.
  9. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Can you explain what you mean by better? I'm perfectly happy with the layout of the iPhone's springboard, and would hate to lose the iPhone feel with a completely new one, unless of course you mean minor changes rather than a complete overhaul.

Springboard works, plain and simple.

No argument here. I'm all for open-source (to a certain extent).

I disagree with removing the approval process altogether. Otherwise, apps made for expressly illegal purposes would be commonplace.

I do, however, agree that the current review system is extremely flawed. 95% of apps are approved within seven days, but how many of those are duplicates of other apps already available (fart apps, anyone?)? However, with the overwhelming number of apps submitted by developers of all kinds every single day, it would require an enormous number of people to extensively consider every one of them. Apple needs to bridge the gap and come up with a speedy, yet reliable way to approve and disprove app submissions.

NO. I can't emphasize it enough. Just no.

Phones of today aren't ready to handle a resource-hogging platform like Flash. A few years from now (maybe more), it could be feasible, when Flash itself is either revamped or mobile devices have the hardware necessary to both run Flash efficiently as well as keep other processes running in the background without leading to a crash, like many Flash-enabled Android handsets.

Oh, and YouTube isn't the only place on the internet that doesn't rely on Flash. More and more sites are converting to the less resource-hungry HTML5. If the trend continues, Flash content will be outnumbered in as little as three to five years.

Again, no. Physical keyboards (those that are actually usable, at least) add unnecessary bulk to handheld devices. Physical keyboards that are super-slim don't give the functionality or comfortable typing that people want, but then they complain that phones are just too big when a good keyboard is stuffed into one.

Plus, if people would actually pay attention to what they're typing, they would notice spelling errors and have the opportunity to fix them. Don't blame your horrendous text messages on the phone when you could easily fix them yourself.

Ok, so that's my opinion of your opinion, as it were. Don't take the areas in which I flat out stated "no" the wrong way. I don't mean to belittle your arguments, only to express my personal consideration of their possibility.