5 Reasons why the iPod Camera was removed at the last minute

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tommm, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    5 Reasons why the iPod Camera was removed at the last minute

Cases were removed from best buys website
    Some iPod Touch cases for the 3G were removed from best buys website a few hours before the event and have not returned yet. Maybe the company that makes the cases were told that the iPod Touch camera was removed at the last minute.

There were rumours that the Camera was taken out at the last minute
    About one day before the event rumours about there been a technical problem with the iPod touch's camera started.

The lower end iPod got a camera but not the higher end
    The iPod nano got a video camera but not the iPod Touch. Why would Apple do that? There is more potential uses for a camera on an iPod touch than a nano.
    Steve Jobs did say it wasn't added because he wanted to keep the price down, but he could have easily put it in the 32GB and 64GB model with out adding to the price too much.

The camera information for the nano and touch were leaked at the same time by the same source
    The nano information was exactly right. Why would the touch information be wrong?

Lots of cases had a camera hole
    A company would never start producing cases if they weren't 100% sure that iPod would have a camera.

This is not fact. Don't flame.
  2. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

I don't know what "last minute" means since you can buy a new iPod Touch now. For them to remove the camera "at the last minute" means they have to make sure the factories that assemble them get out enough units to reach demand, this doesn't happen overnight. If there was ever a decision to put a camera into an iPod touch, it would have been decided to take it out a while ago. I can order a new touch on the website now and have it shipped in 24 hours. That means they have stock sitting around ready to go.
  3. MaxPower49

MaxPower49 Member

Device:
    iPad
    "Last minute" would mean "around a month ago" in order to get these things manufactured and in the stores this week. I do believe that is what happened though. Apple probably didn't bother to let the case manufacturers know they were pulling the camera... or maybe the "3rd generation" was just delayed and we will see it in a few months.
  4. gsimonds

gsimonds Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Apple made the right move, from a financial stand point. There is a limited amount of hardware functionality that can be added. They are going to sell a ton of the new Touchs with the CPU upgrade, with a big part of those coming from people upgrading their current Touch. I game on my 2g all the time and its a no-brainer to upgrade.

And if they release a Touch with a camera in 6 months, many of us gadget freaks will be quick to try and sell ours to get the new one. If Apple packed every upgrade they can into a Touch, it severely limits what they can add in the future to make the new models worth the upgrade
  5. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maybe they changed the manufacturing of the iPods earlier than last minute then, but it looks like the case manufactures were told at the last minute.

Also it does seem like there is availability problems. http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1840297#post1840297
  6. Lupinicon

Lupinicon New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Also On my order of the 64 G it says 5 days assembly time, so they're actually putting them together still (outside retail)