5 minutes before purchase - tips?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Christina85, May 13, 2010.

1. Christina85

Christina85 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am a total newbie - used an Ipod touch today for the first time and decided to buy. I will try not to bother you with idiotic questions (have done some reading before posting here). So only the following:

1. Is there any way how to get a good deal on 3rd gen. 32GB Ipod touch?

The best price I could find is 270$ on Amazon.
    Now I know e.g. that when you buy a Lenovo laptop using Lenovo's coupons and bing cashback you can save up to 30% of the total price. Is there anything like that for Ipod touch?

2. Extra warranty - yes or no? (e.g. 2 year warranty instead of 1)

3. A specific question I don't think any of you will probably be able to answer: Japanese handwritten input support, anytime soon?

To explain this to you: I am buying this Ipod basically because I need to use it as a portable dictionary while I am doing field research in Japan. There are good Jap. dictionaries for Ipod these days, but the OS support for Japanese in horrible (compared to Windows Mobile..that I am familiar with). Basically for inputting kanji you need to use Chinese input software (built-in but pretty bad for Japanese kanji is not the same). I could go into the details of this but my question is simple: does anyone here know whether Apple fill finally release a better Jap. support?

4. I need multitasking (in order to jump from one dictionary to another): my understanding is that the to be released 4.0 should support this. Will I have to pay for an OS upgrade if I buy Ipod now? (I am leaving in 3 weeks and have to buy it before I go).

Thanks and hope for your help,
    Christina
  2. TheTouchNoob

TheTouchNoob New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    4. Jailbreak it and search for Backgrounder on Cydia.
    Then u can open 2 dict. at 1 time

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Christina85

Christina85 New Member

Thank you for the reply. I do plan on jailbreaking it but thought that once the new OS is released it should work without that as well.
  4. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The Japanese support is absolutely fine, as noted in your previous thread.
  5. cjschriver3

cjschriver3 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    and then ...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i don't get it

...and from a Super Mod

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Christina85

Christina85 New Member

Well I hoped to get some input on 4 of my questions not to quibble about the Jap. support on Ipod. But if I am called on that: yeah it sucks..compare it to Windows Mobile OS (Japanese version) and you will see how bad the Chinese input is on Ipod - and this is what Japanese would tell you too. When Meikura says its fine, it can mean the following: you can input kanji on ipod through kana - this, of course , can be easily done....especially if you are a native Japanese and know the pronunciation to all the kanji..I am not a native, know about 1000....and anytime I encounter a kanji I don't know (happens quite often as I do a lot of translation these days) I need to look it up - and it's this looking up that sucks in Ipod - Meikura doesn't go into this but argues with me...my sense is that he/she is either a native Japanese (thus looks kanji up directly by pronunciation) or has no clue what he's talking about. So when you need to look up a kanji you don't know, you can do it by radicals (you've got to have a program for that, Ipod doesn't support this) or you can draw it...this is the most straightforward way...the problem being that Ipod recognizes only Chinese characters..these are to 70% similar to Japanese...but are not identical. And so it happens, more often than not, that you are trying to draw a character and the system doesn't recognize it...or you have gotten the stroke order wrong.but there's no way for you to know..so you try again, again nothing etc. a waste of time.....that never happens with Windows Mobile OS as it recognizes every Japanese kanji+is very lenient when it comes to stroke order + and given you 7-10 options rather than 4 as it is on Ipod...and you can backtrack your strokes...you cannot do that on Ipod...also in Windows Mobile you can input through handwriting both kana and kanji at the same time...in Ipod's OS you need to jump between two input mats...all in all when I say it sucks, it means it sucks relatively to Windows Mobile and that so BIG TIME! I don't mean that Jap. support is non-existent. So Again,I can only say that Meikura doesn't know what he's talking about (because he lacks the comparative experience with WM), or is a Japanese (and thus almost never finds a kanji he can't pronounce and thus is not bothered by the inferior input system on Ipod) or is simply one of those Mac-fanatic can't see the shortcoming of this software (or is just trying to be a smart...s). I can point you specialized websites with people who discuss this. E.g. here, thi guy makes a living with selling elect. dictionaries: http://www.japaneselanguagetools.com/iPhone.html

Once again I asked simple questions and hoped to get some help.
  7. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Right, your block of text has been broken up into manageable chunks.

My WM phone currently isn't working, but it's on charge and I'll find out exactly what makes Japanese input on this OS just so fantastic.

1) Japanese. Look it up on the AppStore, it's about £12, but it's exactly what you need. Radical searching, two different ways of looking up kanji either by radical count or by component.

2) I'm not native, I've been learning Japanese almost 2 years now. However, I know about 1,200 odd kanji and combinations, so it's honestly not that hard getting by here. Seriously, the pronunciations aren't that hard.

3) I know what I'm talking about, because I use my iPod for exactly what you're talking about, and it works perfectly.

4) Drawing the kanji in is honestly a waste of time. As I said before in 1, Japanese. Get it.

I know what I'm talking about, I've been here for about 8 months already.

Seriously, if you're going to complain about the iPod's support for inputting kanji and then having to switch to input kana, I'd recommend you just buy a 電子辞書。 I've been here about 8 months, but with your apparent 1,000 kanji knowledge, you honestly shouldn't have too much of a problem here. You already know half of the 常用 kanji, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the rest. Relying on a 電子辞書 really isn't that good an idea.

Also, you'd be surprised how many kanji native Japanese speakers don't know. I went to an お好み焼き restaurant with some classmates, and it had loads of kanji all on the walls that the natives couldn't understand. But that's a story for another time.