5 Hours of video and 22 Hours of music ! LIES!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Spam-Robot, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Spam-Robot

Spam-Robot New Member

Hey guys, after having my iPod touch for 2 days, I decided to test the "22 hours of music, and 5 hours of movies".
    I turned Wifi and SSH off just to make sure.

I started with the battery at 100% charge, and first played Superbad, which was 2 hours in lenght roughly.
    Then I watched LoTR: Return of The King, which was 2:30 Hours.
    After about 3/4 into LoTR, the iPod shut itself off.

So it played about 4 hours of video.

Next I tried out music.

I just put the same song on repeat and let my iPod play... I checked back in 16 hours, and the iPod was nearly out of charge, I let it go for a bit, and it eventually ran out at around 17 hours.

So where does Apple get these statistics from? Is my battery weak or something?
  2. iberras

iberras New Member

i know it lies......but apple always says 5 hours with the brightness zero and music i a very low volume...but its ok for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

This is a job for Fine Print!

4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, one of the guys over at iLounge did a test of his own on the battery life... his results were closer to Apple's below. And just a question - what was your brightness set to?

First Test: Music Playback - Playlist of 10 songs, volume at ~90%. Started on repeat and let the display switch off - Result: 24 Hours

Second Test: Wi-Fi - Webpage that auto-refreshed every 10 seconds with a random header so it didn't load from cache. Brightness at 25% Result: 3 hours

Third Test: Display - Music playing like the first test, but with the display running all the time (no sleep) Result: 9 hours
  5. Spam-Robot

Spam-Robot New Member

Derek that sounds about right. I mean, If I was to take my iPod with me on a trip, I would definetly get an external charger or bring my PSP in case it fails.

My brightness was around 80%.
  6. schnikelfritz576

schnikelfritz576 New Member

i rode in the car to NY for Christmas from VA and it took about 5 hours to get there and i watched the office for about 3 1/2 hours with full brightness and the battery had about 20% left. On our way back there was a ton of traffic and it took close to 8 hours to get back and i watched Dan in Real Life, Bee Movie, an office episode, a scrubs episode, and Transformers which took up the whole ride and by the time i got home my ipod was down to about 10% battery but i had brightness on about 40%. So it seems like brightness makes a biiiigggg difference. O and i had wifi and ssh off on both rides
  7. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

Yeah my battery runs out pretty fast too, but I also noticed that brightness makes a HUGE difference.

My brightness is always set between 10-20%. Haven't fully tested it yet, letting it run on its own for 20 hours, but music and video run decently. Safari seems to suck it dry but worst of all is the gpSPhone.

I've played it for 2-3 hours and my battery was down to about 30%? So I'm assuming I can only play it for a max of 4 hours. I'm wondering, does gpSPhone have it's own set brightness? It seems that whenever I play, the screen always seems very bright compared to normal. I have only seen this once. I'll test it a couple more times to get more accurate results but this is my first impression of it.
  8. Nayfe

Nayfe New Member

Hey, Spam-Robot how did you get superbad on your touch i tried putin a movie on and became stuck (i converted to MP4) but it did'nt seem to change onto iTunes any one got any suggestions? Pictured totourial would be very much appreciated lol
  9. linds

linds New Member

10. lvlln

lvlln New Member

All portable devices get less battery time than they claim, because the ratings are done under absolutely perfect conditions to maximize battery life at the cost of everything else. The fact that you got 80% of the rated time is right about average.