4x4 Jam - Amazing 3D Car Racing Game! (AMAZING PHYSICS!!!)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by SumDaii, Jul 6, 2009.

1. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

4x4 Jam

Amazing Physics Equals an Amazing Game

Name: 4x4 Jam
    Price: $3.99 (AppStore Link Here)
    Released Date: July 05
    Size: 8.3MB
    Company: Invictus
    Compatible Firmwares: OS 2.2.1 or Later

Introduction

This game may not have online or local multiplayer included, but it sure does have the graphics and the physics at the top. This game, for the low price of $3.99. To me that's the perfect price. This reminds me slightly of Motor Storm, with the great physics, the mad racing and crazy crashes. However, this game does have it's cons, which I hope the developer will take into consideration for the next update.

Start Up

When you first tap the icon, the sponsors of the game show up for a minimum of two seconds, then the loading screen comes up (shown in the above GIF). You are then presented with the following:
    -
    Start
    - Start a new game, race or free roam.
    -
    Options
    - Typical options such as adjusting sensitivity, camera height, music/sf volume etc. I will explain more as we go along..

Help - Controls and the aim of the game.

Credits - The developer's of the game.

Controls/Screen Layout

I will use this^ as an example of the layout

The controls are nice and easy, letting you have enough energy to enjoy the game. It auto-accelerates, and you just steer the iPod touch or iPhone, for the real feel. To brake, you simply tap anywhere on the screen, and the vehicle will slow down. If you hold down after it has stopped, it will begin to reverse.

The layout is also very helpful and simple so you know where you are going. There is a small arrow at the bottom of the screen - this tells you which direction to go, because in the game, it is easy to go off-track. The small number in meters is the distance you are from the back of the person in front of you. The arrow changes colour according to whether or not you are far away from your opponent. Green is close, Grey is far behind.

The timer at the top has it's own space, very easy to spot. The ranking in the top left also have their own space, and very noticeable. It is all set out nicely, each independent with their own area.

Game Play/Physics

Here are a few screens of what it is like:​

The gameplay is average, but the physiscs push it up to great. When you first play the game, it is very hard to steer, and due to the course being offroad, you can easily lose your way and go over any of the hills. You will then go off-track, lose your possession and stay in one place confused.

There is no limit, so you could just keep on driving into nowhere, and get nowhere. The physics are great, as said before. The car bounces up and down as if real life, as you race over the sandy hills. The physics are in a 1:1 action with the hills. Great.

Options

Landscapes/Tracks

Unfortunately, in this game there are only two landscapes: green grass and a sandy desert. They both include hills and areas to do amazing jumps and crashes. Both have tricky turns, but are ever-lasting.

Vehicles

You can choose from any of the above vehicles, a Beetle or a 4x4 truck. What ever one you choose, your opponents will also choose. This will make the game fair. In my opinion, the Beetle shows the physics off more.

Other Effects

Other options include changing your player name, adjusting music and FX and changing the sensitivity to your liking.

Overall

Overall, this game is great and feels great when you race. The physics really boost this game up, giving you a mad driving experience. However, limitations such as the tracks and no multiplayer feature, bring this racer down. There are many things the developer should take into consideration, but the current price ($3.99) is the perfect price.

Ratings

Graphics: 9/10
    Physics: 10/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Options: 7/10
    Tracks/Cars: 6/10

Overall...

7/10

YouTube Video Here

Attached Files:

2. Alpha911

Alpha911 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    THx for the nice review.
    GREAT GAME
  3. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    no problem, i'll do more as i get newer games.
  4. Just_For_Now

Just_For_Now Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice review, lolz u could only pick 2 vehicles.
  5. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i know, kinda sucks at that.
  6. poopstain

poopstain New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    that looks fukken sick... so you can basically free roam and do jumps and stuff?
  7. IPT_FTW

IPT_FTW Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Wow, that looks really nice, especially with the physics. I might consider getting it. Great review.
  8. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks. to be honest, now that i've thought about it... just wait for an update, it is quite limited at the moment. i saw the video, liked the physiscs and got it.
  9. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review Sum Daii. Well presented and your best yet. Couple of issues to clean up that I'm sure you can see (e.g. the redundant BB Code up there).

The game looks great - reminds me of Msoft's old Motocross racer game for PCs. It would need more tracks, cars and features to make me buy it though as I'm in an App Store limbo period after I had my credit card bill last month and being very selective atm.
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Awesome review bud