[4idiots]- Create custom sounds/backgrouds/icons etc. [TUT]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by johnt2, Mar 10, 2009.

1. johnt2

johnt2 New Member

Tis' be a tutorial for newbs that need help creating/installing custom made icons/sounds!

Its my first tutorial ever so please give me feedback and tips on how to improve.

Info

Basically I will be teaching or tutoring you on how to create custom icons, backgrounds,lock and unlock sounds and dock for your Ipod touch. If you find image editing hard and you are unable to do it then there will be a pack you can download below that I have created before. Please keep in mind this is a tutorial for IDIOTS so if you do get offended then YOU are an idiot.

Materials needed

1) Photoshop- Or a image editing software of you choice P.S --PAINT WILL NOT WORK--
    2) A jailbroken Ipod touch/iphone
    3) Internet connection
    4) SSH
    5) And creativity.

Optional Materials

1) SSFC ( Switch sound file converter )
    This is needed for the UI sounds for unlock sounds. So if you want a unique sound that plays when you 'slide to unlock' then get this.
    Click This link to download SSFC

---==============================================================================================---

Procedures!!

--NOTE-- Quick one I promise. Just to let you know, All measurements givin' out will need to be in pixels. So if I say create a new document 90x10
    then that means 90pixelsinches width 10pixels in height.

Icons!

All icons will be 60x60!!! NO OTHER MEASUREMENTS!!
    So go ahead and create a new document in photoshop 60x60, and If you want your icons to be transparent which is a smart thing then select 'transparent' under 'background contents.' Here is a picture for you idiots.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Great your almost done, just hang in there! Now what you have to do is create the actual icon! HOW? Iunno' Do what ever you like, Ill be creating a counter-strike source theme pack so i might choose something like a desert eagle to be my icon.Click here for guide lines

Here's what mine looks like, ( yes its transparent

)

important--> Once you are done your image you must save it as .png file and you must name it after the app. So for example for my deagle i might save it as this.

App Store.png

Important--> All case capitals are necessary. For instance if i saved it as app store.png it would not work!!

Optional--> If you want to save trouble that might come up, create a folder in your desktop and name it after the theme pack you want so for me i would name my new folder "CSS pack." Also open up your theme pack folder that you just created and create a new folder named "Icons" ( without quotation marks obviously. ) And save ALL your Icons in that folder otherwise it will not work.

-Here's what you folder should look like so far

GREAT!!! You have just created your first custom icon, Unfortunately you got about 10-??? more to go depending on which ones you want to modify.

Background/LockScreen

Background

Important---> Your background image must be 320 x 480 pixels!
    Important---> You must save your image as "Wallpaper.png"
    Important---> Don't Save this in your icons folder, Just save it in your theme pack folder.

It doesn't really matter what you have as background, You can either make your own or snatch one off google images

Dock
    Important---> Your Dock image must be 320 x 91 pixels!!
    Important---> You must save your image as "Dock.png"
    Important---> Don't Save this in your icons folder, Just save it in your theme pack folder.

For me I like having a transparent dock, If you want to know how to do the then follow on, If not then skip to Lockscreen.

How to make transparent dock

Its simple i promise you! Just open up photoshop and do these settings ( shown below in image )

If you want it to be transparent then open it up and without doing anything to the image save it as "Dock.png"

LockScreen

Important---> It has the same measurements as the wallpaper.
    Important---> You must save your image as "LockBackground.png"

Do w/e you like as said above you can create your own or snatch from google

Status Bar

Nothing more is important, Status bar is useless anyways. It looks ugly if you modify it. But if you want to try here are the measurements 320 x 20 pixels

Unlock UI sound!

NOTE-- I only know the unlock one, but if you want to try and figure out what the unlock sound file should be named after its easy to make.

Ok So if your at this part im guessing you have downloaded SSFC already. If not Click This link to download SSFC

Ok Go to google and find a sound you like, It could be anything but just make sure its less than 3 seconds because otherwise it will keep playing after you unlocked it. It'll be terrible trust me

Click here for sounds if you're an idiot

Ok once you've found your sound that you would like save it to your desktop.
    Next open SSFC and click the big green + sign that says "add file"

Then a window should pop up, Navigate to your desktop and double click on the sound you found.

Great the window should close and you should now have your sound in the "list of files to convert" section.

Now before pressing convert, select your output, it could be anywhere you like but make sure you save it somewhere that you cant find.

IMPORTANT---> Your Output format should/MUST be .aiff or else it will not work!

Now inside your theme pack folder make a new folder and name it "UISounds"

Then drag or save your .aiff sound to that UIsounds folder.

Rename the file to "unlock.caf" it must be a .caf file or it will not work.!!!!!

Great! You're all done. Now ssh your folder pack to private/var/stash/theme.xxxxxx(its diff for every device) Your folder pack should appear in winterboard! Good job!
  2. johnt2

johnt2 New Member

LOL this was an extremely quickly done because of the tutorial but here is what it looks like. My other one is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

heres the one 1 somewhat tried in this one was my first ever pack, and i just kept on adding to it like the UI sound and slider.

3. meepo

meepo New Member

There's already a forum for this.
  4. johnt2

johnt2 New Member

oh? sorry i didn't see
  5. hazzah

hazzah New Member

we are the idiots? you told us to do 60 by 60 inch icons... good tutorial by the way.