4G's of mem... wasted..

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tktab911, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tktab911

tktab911 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    _=-{*~*}-=_( THREAD ANSWERED )_=-{*~*}-=_
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I uh... connected my ipod touch 2g, 8gb (because my 32 is on a nice trip to apple and wont return anytime soon

Please Register or Log in to view images

) to itunes earlier today.. And i noticed that aprox. 4g's of memory were filled up with *other*. Now i have a nice-sized music library and app collection so... being as that is, i am unable to put most onto an 8 gig anways, but with 4 gigs knocked off as *other*? Seems a little extreme...

Any idea where these "4 gigs" of mem are stored at? I recently downloaded AptBackup and AppBackup and they both included backingup of apps/downloads (duh) so i ran both on the ipod before connecting. Connected and wow! there it is. i un-installed both but the mem. seems to still be used up. I believe it is just the apps because the file sizes are almost the same. I ***KNOW*** its not in my downloads folder because i've filled those up quickly and already checked it... twice.

So thats all i have to say is, any idea where this might be being used at? I've been told to just backup my ipod @ itunes again, Restore-Rejailbreak and it should be gone. I've had 3 ipods (lucky arn't i?) and this 2G 8 gig one has caused me the most trouble. Restored 13 times-jailbroken 10 (had some troubles while restoring twice and one time i restored and somehow the jailbreak was still on x.x i know right?). so i'd rather NOT restore-rejailbreak unless i HAVE to as a last resort.

Note- all apps have been purchased so dont post anything like that (i have the recites for every one of them to prove it)
  2. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Some people are having some issues like this, i read a thread with someone who was missing 4g's of memory on an 8g touch.... But, back to your problem, most of the time, the other is jailbreak data like cydia apps and such.
  3. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    The 4 gigs of other could be Cydia packages, roms, random files, downloaded files... and stuff like that. Go in file like /var/mobile/Media and /var/mobile/Library and delete files that you dont want.

If you delete a lot of things, and you still have a lot of other... then just restore, its the easiest way to get rid of it, it may not seem like it right now, but yea.
  4. tktab911

tktab911 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Quick question... The same app. files are located in Private and Var (when i use iPhoneBrowser). I've look @ them with iFile and clicking on Private takes me to Var automatically. So if i delete a folder on Private in the same location as it is on Var (i'll be using iPhoneBrowser) will it effect it and vice-versa??
  5. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    /private/var/ and /var/ are symlinks, so their the same folder.
  6. tktab911

tktab911 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have two folders with a nice ammount of files in them...
    /var/mobile/media/itunes_control
    &
    /var/mobile/media/itunes_control2
    it looks like they have the same files.. but should i delete one?
  7. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    itunes_control is the file that holds all your music... itunes_control2 was made from an application so that you can sync with 2 computers.

Delete itunes_control2 and your done. Stop using apps like iTunes Swap, or Music Swap or whatever.
  8. tktab911

tktab911 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Many thank-you's.
    That worked.

*thread answered