iOS 4.0 4.0 Updates Baseband

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by GeorgeGabriel, Apr 14, 2010.

1. GeorgeGabriel

GeorgeGabriel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I've just downgraded from 4.0 to 3.1.3, and the one thing I've noticed is that my baseband is now 5.13.01..would this render geohot/comex's new pending 3.1.3 jailbreak useless on a device that has a 4.0 baseband?

Then again, if they've found a jailbreak for 4.0, it would imply it's still going to work.
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Why doesn't the baseband downgrade with the firmware...?
  3. GeorgeGabriel

GeorgeGabriel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Because I couldn't get it to downgrade in Xcode, I had to do it using DFU mode and then iRecovery.

Typically I thought basebands no longer downgraded anyway?
  4. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Baseband only applys if you unlock and it is correct that they don't normally downgrade along with the firmware.
  5. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The baseband is all about iPhone unlocking. It has nothing to do with the iPhone's ability to be jailbroken. As long as you don't care about unlocking in the future you're alright. However if you do want to unlock the iPhone in the future, you wont be able to until they find a baseband unlock for that baseband version
  6. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I believe the hackers were planning on a 4.0 unlock anyway. He just has to wait until the official release and they should have some sort of unlock being worked on.
  7. GeorgeGabriel

GeorgeGabriel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    That's great, thanks for the respsonses. I've no need to unlock, just wanna jailbreak

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. dinitrokes

dinitrokes New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The baseband has never been downgraded with FW downgrade, not by regular terms at least. I think some Cydia tools have managed to downgrade the baseband, but iTunes has never done it for you. That's why the scene os full of dudes who "accidentally upgraded" and lost the unlock
  9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The baseband controls the iPhones calls, think of it as a firmware but just for the calling part of the phone.

The iPod Touch dosnt have a baseband (no need as no phone) but the iPhone does.

The baseband can be upgraded through a firmware upgrade and Apple usually do this to kill unlocks.

In the iPhone 2G there is a bootrom exploit which allows the baseband to be changed through BootNeuter from Cydia and therefore this is permanent and as a result, Apple have only updated the iPhone 2G baseband once I believe.

The other iPhones need an exploit in the baseband itself or the ability to downgrade the baseband to a previous baseband which does have an exploit to run an unlock on it.

iTunes cant downgrade the baseband because it checks the baseband and only overwrites it if the one in the IPSW is a higher than the one already installed on the iPhone.