iPhone 3GS 3gs, should i stay on 3.1.2 or go for 4.x and use jailbreakme?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zantrax, Aug 23, 2010.

1. zantrax

zantrax New Member

Howdy guys, just got myself a second hand iphone 3gs from a dude on craigslist. Its on os 3.1.2 and its got a new bootroom so currently I have to use blackra1n to jailbreak it, having to connect it to the pc everytime I reboot (not fun)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Was wondering whats the "word" on upgrading to ios4 and doing the jailbreakme process or should I just stay on 3.1.2 and plug it everytime I reboot the iphone.

Since its 3gs I guess ios4 should run fine, but still want to ask if there is any drawback just in case...

Other thing, the box that the dude gave had no mention of carrier or anything, so I guess it could be factory unlocked, but im not sure...

Cheers, and hope any of you guys can help me, thanks in advance.
  2. SpoonIsTooBig

SpoonIsTooBig Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well, the latest firmware, 4.0.2, is "jailbreak-proof" so you can't jailbreak it. And because you have no shsh blobs saved from your iphone, you cant upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1. If you don't mind not having a jailbreak then go for it, 4.0's so much than 3

3. zantrax

zantrax New Member

Brilliant, thanks for the quick and to the point answer!

Hum on another note... what happens if I do a restore? Since its 2nd hand I was thinking of doing a clean start of the phone, without the previous owners music, apps, etc.

Thanks in advance!
  4. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    it will download and restor to the latest firware (4.0.2)(the jailbreak proof one)
  5. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You can jailbreak 3.1.2 with spirit betchya you didn't know that?
  6. zantrax

zantrax New Member

I did know that (spirit), but Id swear that instructions on installing it say that I must restore the firmware first... "to clean" 3.1.2.

------------------double post merged------------------
    Also then, if on some freak accident I had to restore the firmware to clean, id be f***ed?

7. Rem0rse

Rem0rse Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Well, Jailbreakme isn't the best way to go about that, it's the easiest though..

When I jailbroke using this method, there were things wrong in the OS, I use redsn0w as of now, and have no problems