iPhone 3GS 3GS Battery life/week relationship.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twigster9, Jul 10, 2009.

1. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What's your battery life on your 3GS like and what week was it manufactured?
    Mine goes down about 10% per hour with brightness at 25%, push off, notifcations off, Bluetooth off, Nike+ off, fetch off (set to manual), and either 3G or wifi on. Mine has crappy battery life and was manufactured on the 23 week. The 4th and 5th serial number are the week your phone was manufatured.

On a side note do you think I would qualify for a replacement?
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It can't hurt to try for a replacement. Although I don't have a 3GS to compare with.
  3. mclaurin10

mclaurin10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    My 3GS lasts a full day, playing music all day, push notifiactions on, 3G on, push email on and brightness at 60%. There's something wrong with your battery, I would get it replaced ASAP, if you do it with in 14 days of purchase its a no questions asked deal and will save you a lot of hassle.
  4. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah I have an appointment with an Apple genius on Monday. I just did a small battery life test with all of 3G, push , notifications, Bluetooth, Nike+, and well everything off with brightness at 25%. I have been browsing a bit and have my music on shuffle. I'm 9% in an hour flat!
  5. dast1g

dast1g New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have to charge mine every night .. But i use it constantly all day so i suppose my batt is ok .. Im on it now its gone down 2% in 10 mins is that normal?
  6. viper3885

viper3885 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I do a good amount of texting, maybe half and hour to an hour of 3g web browsing (more on non work days), checking e-mail, and a few other various things on a normal day. I'll usually last two days before a charge. I usually get between 4 to 6 hours of usage with around 2 days and 10 or so hours of standby with the above use. All of my settings are the default settings except I have location services turned off.

I also noticed like many other users have, that after a few charge cycles that the battery performance increased noticeably. Also when I leave the phone over night, it loses around 3-6% over a 8-12 hour time span in stand by.

EDIT: Also when you say your battery goes down by 10% an hour, is that in stand by? If it is then that's no good. You can try these things to try and fix the battery problem. Try first shutting your phone down (hold power button til the power down slider comes up). If that is no help, then try resetting it (hold the power and home buttons together for 10 seconds). If still nothing, try restoring your phone off of a backup. And the last option is a fresh restore (ie: don't restore off a back up, restore it as a new phone). This has worked for some people not all, if none of this works then seek a replacement phone. I hope this helps you.
  7. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It goes down 10% with all of those thing off and while I browse on wifi and listen to music. I tried doing a hard reset, I tried doing a regular restore, I tried DFU mode , and I tried restoring and setting it up as a new phone. I put music on and put my phone in standby mode and got 7% per two hours. This us with wifi off and the screen off and 3G off and a whle crap load of things.
    I'm trying to document my battery life. I started at 10:24 with 65% and am now down to 54% in less than one hour. Im going to get and exchange and of I don't I'm getting another phone.
  8. viper3885

viper3885 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    If it goes down 10% in an hour while browsing the web on wifi and listening to music at the same time, that's pretty good. Apple rates the 3GS at 10 hours of use on wifi, and with 10% drain an hour that would equate to 10 hours of usage. So unless I'm understanding you wrong, you're getting exactly the battery life that you're supposed to be getting.

EDIT: Also you're saying that while listening to music for 2 hours it only drains 7% correct? That should come out to somewhere around 25 hours of total music listening.
  9. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    10% each hour is with almost every feature turned off and brightness at 25%. If I listen to music and browse while on wifi with 3G off, push off, notifications off, brightness at 25% then I'll get 10% off per hour. With Apples default settings it goes down 1% per 2ish minutes while doing nothing. I could watch the percentage go down when I was going to an AT&T store (which told me I had to book an Apple genius appointment). The 7% off per 2 hours was listening to music while the phone was in standby which means all of those things off plus the screen plus wifi.
  10. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    a battery fault with a product less than a month old is due a straight out swap. just take it in and dont leave wihtout another brand new iphone 3GS.

also, is your phone JB'ed?