3G without streaming video or audio...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bahamutspirit, May 24, 2010.

1. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    ...Doesn't eat up that much bandwidth at all. Considering I used 3G to download map data for Google Maps, check emails, IM, download and upload documents and images, remotely connecting to my Mac at home for works that require more than what the iPad has to offer, and GPS navigation, this is not bad at all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Oh, and not to mention that if I walked into Starbucks or some other place that had an ATT hotspot, I could just connect to it via WIFI and start streaming music and video. Streaming video via 3G is painfully slow and the quality is not up to snuff anyways. So... definitely not a bad plan at all despite what they keep trying to tell you. Your mileage may vary, but seriously, this is better than I hoped for. And battery life was awesome all the while.

Oh, and don't mind that I'm disabling 3G in the screenshot. My home network keeps getting its signal dropped to one bar even though I'm literally just 3 feet away from the router. Every time I'm on my bed connecting to my Mac downstairs to work on a project (I know, I'm lazier than a potato), the signal gets dropped to one bar, and the iPad "automagically" switch to 3G, which kills the remote control stream and may cause some weird problems with the project if I'm in the middle of a precise operation... Common Wifi problem so nothing to worry about, but the main concern is that it drops my local remote control stream, and remote control via the internet is not as smooth as when it's local. If you have a decent spec'ed Mac, a local remote control stream will almost be like you are right in front of the computer.
  2. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Now im wishing I got a 3G haa.
  3. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I just checked my usage this morning. I've used 1 GB download, 67 MB upload. I'm glad I went with the unlimited plan.