3G Unrestrictor for ipodtouch?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by nygstatus, Aug 20, 2009.

1. nygstatus

nygstatus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    3G Unrestrictor is for iphones to watch and download stuff without internet is there something that confuses the ipod touch to do the same?
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

3G Unrestrictor allows you to use 3G to use some things that AT&T doesn't allow you to do.
    The iPod touch doesn't have anything but Wi-Fi to access the internet.

In short, you can't use the internet without the internet.
  3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    3G Unrestrictor is for iphones to use certain programs that require wifi, but can't because they are on 3G
    So it would have no effect on an iPod Touch
  4. duckboy

duckboy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  5. JayXL14

JayXL14 Member

lol He feels left out.. I did too, 'till I got a 3GS

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I have the Sprint MiFi "hotspot".

Maybe it helps my Touch 2G to "fool" that service? MiFi works practically everywhere.

It works on "roam" agreements, for no more money, apparently because it is data-only.

The Sprint MiFi is not picking up WiFi. It is 3G.

Maybe I ought to install 3G Unrestrictor ?

I installed VoIPover3G because I want the best signal for fring, Skypein, and Truphone (not yet tried it). I also have Google Talk. I haven't had a chance to test it.

I also like to stream Classic TV, using Streamer or Open Streamer and other streaming meadia.

According to Novatel MiFi 2200 User Guide Section 2E. Advanced Menu (page) 27 it has a 3G autoconnect.

And, from Novatel MiFi 2200 FAQ The MiFi 2200 operates on the nationwide Sprint Mobile Broadband Network (3G network).

The WiFi is b/g.

ref: Novatel MiFi 2200 review link and user guides link
  7. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The name says it all: 3G Unrestrictor.
  8. smarty94

smarty94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    3g unrestrictor only works on iphones, because only iphones have built in 3g. A mifi hotspot has a wifi connection to the ipod touch so there are no restrictions on apps like skype because the ipod doesn't know the difference between your mifi and the wifi at your house.

Hope that clears things up for you
  9. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    But would Sprint know the difference? or AT&T or Verizon on "roam"?

The MiFi device is 3G.

I am using only that access when out-of-town, in a rural place or traveling.

I noticed, at one point of driving between greater Portland, Oregon and Glacier National Park, Montana, the MiFi blue led was lit up, which means it is on "roam". I noticed it was slow downloading app updates from the App Store.

I thought maybe the signal was restricted, because all the WiFi bars were lit up, as if the signal were strong. I didn't have the WifFi app that tells me signal strength on the Touch. If I did, I would have a better report.

I also have an app, that tells me broadband up and down speed. On my next driving trip, I could have the WiFi signal strength and broadband speed apps installed to give a better report.

I am still wondering, if I use the advice about ports, and so forth, in the 3G Unrestrictor description, I would have better fring, Skype, Truphone (I haven't tried it, so far) and the streaming video apps I did not try because the App Store app upgrades were so slow this last driving trip.

I really felt the MiFi 3G service on "roam" was throttled down.

Are my questions "off-the-point"?

I had broadband at the house. I had the provider's router. I tried to watch tv at fox-on-demand, and regular tv using my glorious big flat display and tv tuner card I purchased for the purpose, and I had nothing but problems. The provider reluctantly admitted they throttle down some particular kinds of services and they do not allow some ports.

I discontinued that service.

I have the impression a proprietary router isn't for all-services. Is that so, or not so?

It would seem the 3G unrestrictor is about the same sort of problem I experienced with "broadband" service at the house and I may be experiencing with this particular mobile "broadband" service, unless the "roam" provider is the problem. At any rate, if no one knows the technical ins-and-outs of it, I will test it out next time I am on a long-distance driving trip.