3G sound quality discussion

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Overspeed, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Overspeed

Overspeed New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thread started to discuss & compare the 3G audio quality to previous generations. In my previous thread I gave the 3G high marks over my 1G. Today for the first time in more than a week I used my 3G as an MP3 player.

I was stunned by what I heard and by the headphone jack. I selected some polished electronic music and some rock and switched back and forth from my 1G. In all situations the 1G sounded far superior. I use HQ Senheizer in-ear headphones.

I also noticed the headphone jack was sloppy on the 3G compared to the 1G. In the 1G it snaps in tight and has no wobble. On the 3G, due the the case bevel, the headphone can wobble in its slot. I also found the connection bad as I would hear scratches and cut-outs when I tuned the cord/connector while plugged in.

I feel Apple cut a lot of corners on the 3G to make it cheaper. Maybe its just my unit.

I would like other users to offer up their impressions of the 3G sound quality and headphone jack whether you have owned a previous gen or not. If you have owned a previous gen, how does it compare? Please list your model(s). Your information will help me decide whether I should just live with it's quirks or whether it warrants a replacement. Thank you.

OS
  2. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

First of all, wow... the first time in a week you used your iPod as an mp3 player?

Please Register or Log in to view images

The sound quality on mine is as good as it's always been, compared to the identical 2G and various 1Gs I've used. I personally find the steel enclosure more secure than the 1G which had a plastic area around the bottom.

Though the headphones moving whilst in the 2/3G is probably a minor design flaw, they all seem like that to me too

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Overspeed

Overspeed New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yah, I pretty much use it for apps. I guess I'm just looking to find out if I gotta melon.
  4. theLorax

theLorax Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I think the hardware that determines the quality of the sound hasnt been changed from the 2g to the 3g, but I could be wrong.

Personally I dont notice a difference, because I use 128kb MP3's and inexpensive earbuds, and I think thats the case with 90% of iPod users.

I'm happy with the sound for a portable player. If I want to listen to music the best I can, i'll use my home setup which consists of an all tube marantz receiver, and sennheiser studio monitors.

There is WAY too much sacrifice in trying to get audiophile quality on a PMP. You have to rip direct from CD, in AAC or FLAC (which kills your iPod's storage capacity), and either invest in expensive earbuds that you might lose or break, or stick with your cans that you'd look silly wearing in public. And PMP's don't have enough output to drive good studio monitors anyways.

The most i'd do to help the quality a little bit is get $40-80 earbuds (since the stock ones are horrible) and encode only my favorite albums and singles in AAC, or 256kb MP3.
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    My headphone Jack is nice and tight... Perhaps that's why your sound quality sucks?
  6. Privateer

Privateer New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, my iPod Touch 3G headphone jack is solid - no wiggle at all with several headphones and earphones.

Sound quality wise, I'm very happy with it even when driving a pair of Sennheiser HD555 headphones. I've built a portable Cmoy headphone amp, and after doing comparisons with and without the amp I decided it made little difference and the amp wasn't needed.