3G iPhone & Unlocking: How will it work?

Discussion in 'WWDC 2008 discussions' started by nintendoom, Jun 9, 2008.

1. nintendoom

nintendoom Member

I don't really see a viable market for the unlocked iPhone anymore since essentially you are required to sign a contract to even purchase an iPhone. See, once the iPhone is tethered to a contract they only way you can use it outside AT&T's wrath is by paying the early termination fee which is probably gonna be pretty high. I imagine even if you purchase an iPhone from apple.com they'll require you to purchase a contract like it is currently done on att.com. SO I guess my question or thought is how are people gonna get hold of the new 3G iPhones without paying monthly or an early termination fee? Considering these two alternatives, which way do you think the unlocked iphone market (which is very successful considering how many unlocked iPhones are for sale on ebay) will continue?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Actually, the Termination Fee thing is being fought in Court. They are saying that you shouldn't have to pay ridiculous termination fees when you want to opt out of a contract within X-Days or X-Months. But the "Having to buy it and activate as soon as you buy" thing I think is a load of Baloney. Did Apple even out right state this?
  3. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

wait, you have to sign a contract with the purchase? that would suck.
  4. scorpion 55

scorpion 55 Banned

yeah how will it work?
  5. nintendoom

nintendoom Member

I think I saw this on Gizmodo earlier and I mean considering the stupidly low price of $200 I don't see apple or att just selling them without a contract or another way to ensure they don't lose money on each iPhone they sell, which considering how high the old iPhone was priced, is the only way they'll cover production expenses etc.

there is also this from the story I'll give the link in a sec.:

Update 2: David alerts us to this bit from Dow Jones' report: "AT&T and Apple are working on a form of penalty for users who don't activate their iPhone within 30 days of purchase." Whoa. Guess that'll cut down on unlockers, eh?

http://gizmodo.com/5014764/iphone-3...ils-30-unlimited-data-activated-in-store-only
  6. nintendoom

nintendoom Member

sorry for the double post.

Ideas anyone?

some guy on engadget mentioned this

"One thing that is being pointed out that you can buy the phone with a plan.. ($199.99), cancel after one month (ETF = $175) = net $374.99 + 1 months cell phone fees (use the hell out of it!) not TOO much more than the original.. then jailbreak / unlock and you are good to go. a little more work, but may be the best option for some people who don't want to drop 2-3 grand on data / voice plans for 2 years.."

also maybe, I don't know if its possible, buy with a prepaid card of some sort though I doubt it because of credit checks and so forth
  7. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have no idea how the unlocking is going to work itself out, it may or may not. I don't know about anyone else, but after the 3G releases, I'm going to buy a 1st gen iPhone for half the price to use as an iPod with speakers and a camera.
  8. Hiratai

Hiratai Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, I think that you can buy a new iPhone, and say "It's a present for somebody" or have a parent come in and say "It's only if he behaves" or something. Then you basically just got the iPhone without contract.
  9. nintendoom

nintendoom Member

I really doubt that they would just let you do that without taking your credit card information incase you never activate it.
    But I'm pretty sure they'll find a way eventually, I guess.
  10. jniranjan

jniranjan Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    looks like iphone unlocking will die. IF we have to sign a contract on the spot, then there is no way i will buy the iphone 3G. Hopefully the great hackers will be able to do something........It's wierd, apple makes great products, but their always bound by some kind of restriction. THe only way apple's gonna sell 10 million iphones is by selling it unlocked
    wait.. heres an idea. you tell em that your iphone got stolen, they terminate your contract, then you unlock it with like ziphone or something, then use kit on whatever network you want!! simple!!