3G iPhone Confirmed By AT&T to be Available 2008

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Complexis, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    From and article by informationweek, and of course it is confirmed by many many other sources as well. AT&T has confirmed the 3G iPhone. The main problem with 3G is battery consumption and Apple has found a company that has developed a battery suitable for allowing the iPhone to connect to 3G without draining the battery like crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 16GB instead of the standard 8GB, and perhaps by next christmas, we may see a 32GB iPod Touch.

------------------
    The 3G iPhone has been naught but a rumor until AT&T (NYSE: T) CEO Randall Stephenson opened his mouth recently and spilled the beans. Oh, how Steve Jobs must be fuming right now. All Stephenson would commit to is "next year", but that's enough for many.

Though the iPhone has been a good seller since its June 29 debut, there are many who have decided against purchasing it because it is limited to EDGE data networks and can't access faster 3G wireless data speeds. Looks like they won't have to wait too much longer before a 3G version of the iPhone becomes available.

At a meeting in California, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson told reporters that a 3G version will be available next year. He also said that he couldn't say exactly when it will be available, or how much more it will cost than the current version of the iPhone, which sells for $399.

Combining 3G data speeds with a device that can run third-party applications will likely make 2008 a banner year for the iPhone. The SDK for the iPhone will be released in February, and we'll probably have more details come MacWorld in January. Whether or not Jobs will use that event to launch the next version of the iPhone is unknown, but it isn't beyond reason.

Some suggest that the reason the iPhone isn't widely available across Europe is because it isn't 3G. Spain's Telefonica, for example, has reportedly held off on releasing the iPhone until it is 3G enabled because it has only GPRS and HSPA networks running. GPRS is slower than EDGE, and makes for a poor experience.

According to analysts, the number of people who put off buying an iPhone now to wait for a 3G one won't affect immediate iPhone sales too much. With nearly 1.5 million of them already sold, Jobs' original goal of selling 10 million of the converged devices by the end of 2008 is certainly looking like more of a reality.
    ------------------
  2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yay.
    So happy...
    I'm getting an iphone next year

Please Register or Log in to view images

!
  3. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  4. markymarkdotcom

markymarkdotcom New Member

what does 3G stand for?
  5. dogman

dogman New Member

even if iPhone becomes 3G enabled in the USA, how much 3G coverage is there? I'm currently using a Treo 700w on Verizon (overall happy with voice and data quality/speed) and also carry an iPod Touch. Would really love an all-in-one device and would love to have the iPhone, but I know AT&T voice quality in the northeast (NJ) is awful, and i'm assuming EDGE is also terrible.

So even if iPhone goes 3G, how much coverage would there be? An AT&T salesman I spoke with today implied that I'd be constantly switching between 3G and EDGE due to lack of coverage.
  6. Blake

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I think there is 3G in most big citys.
  7. edisonho1990

edisonho1990 New Member

i currently have an ipod touch, but i don't have a my phone as it broke......

BUT i'm wondering should i buy an iphone right now or should i wait till next your...at the mean time i won't have a phone

and is the 3G iphone oging to have any special applications that 2G ones won't have? thanks
  8. Blake

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Probably no new applications,
    Unless they come with the SDK in February.
    The internet speed is just faster.
  9. partyboy911

partyboy911 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Would there be a price difference? I guess they havent released anything like that yet though...

I'm thinking of trading my iTouch in for an iPhone.. cause the iTouch made me realize how much I want the phone

Maybe if I sold a jailbroken one over ebay it would go for a little more
  10. edisonho1990

edisonho1990 New Member

will the SDK be only compatible to 3G iphones?