iPhone 3GS 3G and 3GS unlockability...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipodtouch123, May 8, 2010.

1. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    anyone know, is it true that the 3G will always be unlockable, even when the firmware is updated or anything while the 3G s will not always be unlockable, meaning updates will require new unlock way time?
  2. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    By saying unlockable I asume you mean jailbreakable. If so yes the 3g iPhone is Pwned4Life. Otherwise for unlocking it it's not. What unlocking does is unlock the baseband so you can use it with other carriers.
  3. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)

so 3g, cant be unlocked4life to use with other carriers?
  4. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, but it can be jailbroken4life. Right now if you updated to 3.1.3 it also updated the baseband to 5.12. Currently there is no unlock for this BB. But when it was on 5.11 which was 3.1.2 this BB could be unlocked by all iPhones 2G, 3G, 3Gs. I think the only iPhone that can be unlocked4life is the origanl and the 2G one.
  5. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    oh. SO is there a way to dwngrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2? OR will that not downgrade the baseband?
  6. nicolettenicola

nicolettenicola New Member

hello everyone! I amhaving the same issue I have the 3.1.3 version and I paid to get it jailbroken but they refunded my money because they said it wont work and they're waiting for an update. Reading the threads you all are saying that this version will not be unlocked/jailbroken which means using with another carrier? I so man, that sucks. Iguess I would have to go back to att.
  7. all_against_one

all_against_one New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Yes you can downgrade your firmware to 3.1.2 but it won't matter because the baseband that you now have from upgrading to 3.1.3 cannot be downgrade meaning you cannot unlock your iPhone.
  8. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    So buying new iphone 3G's firmwre 3.1.3 from ebay means that it wont be unlockable?
  9. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Any Device(Excluding the iPhone 2G, because Apple is no longer updating the baseband) That has EVER run 3.1.3 will not be unlockable because the baseband is 5.12.01(There is no way to downgrade that unless your one of the lucky few that has the 5.08 bootloader on the iPhone 3G). That baseband is currently not unlockable. By this summer and the new iPhones, you should see another unlock.

Hope I helped

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Azrail

Azrail New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so is there any way to unlock my 3G to use it with any mobile service?