3G 64gb Ipod touch battery after first charge... question, seems like it died quickly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by prototype7, Feb 1, 2010.

1. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have read through the existing threads on battery life and still want to put this out there for "professional" opinion. This is my very first Ipod and I just want to see if this sounds normal to you all.
    Here's how my first charging experience went.

Short story- 1 hour use without wifi... then 6 hours later about 4-5 hours of web based use and about 30 minutes total of game play... and I got the 20% warning.

Got it and plugged it in to the computer to charge. First charge was 16 hours. I know it doesn't take that long but that's how long it was plugged up.
    I then unplugged it and played with the settings and pre-installed apps with wifi off for about 1 hour. Just getting a feel for it.
    I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure I turned it off at that point.

6 hours later I turned it back on and started using the wifi... setting up my Itunes account and browsing the app store on the Ipod. I used the safari browser and downloaded 5 apps over wifi with 1 bar of signal strength. Played a few of the games I downloaded and setup my email accounts.
    All this lasted about 4-5 hours.
    During this time my push was on, wifi was on and location based was on... blutooth was off. Screen brightness was set to about 40% with autobright off. Everytime the device would sleep I would have to reconnect to wifi when I woke it back up... not sure if this is normal either. I figured it had to do with the fact that my wifi signal strength was low.

So, 1 hour use without wifi... then 6 hours later about 4-5 hours of web based use and about 30 minutes total of game play... and I got the 20% warning.
    So... is this in line with what should be expected with a brand new 64gb 3G?
    I appreciate anyone willing to take the time to read this and let me know what they think... I know you guys see these questions all the time but thank you for helping.
    I'm going to keep a good eye on my use tomorrow and will update here. It's going to have about 6 hours charge time for it's second charge... that's just how long I'm going to be asleep.
    Take care all.
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah! actually you battery life is pretty damn good if you ask me

from apple site says the ipod battery its is supposed to last only up to 6 hours when browsing the internet, at that is a very optimistic claim

I for example when playing graphic intensive games only get about 3/4 hours of gameplay, and wifi suck the life out of that already short time

Thats perfectly normal, and has nothing to do with signal strength

when the ipod goes into sleep mode, wifi is automatically turned off to save battery life, thats why every time your ipod wakes it has to reconnect to the wi-fi network
  3. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hmm... i get more time with wifi (around 7-8 hrs) on a full charge. on a full charge, i can play a graphically intensive game for 1-3 hrs, depending on the game and the efficiency of the engine.
  4. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    How can you do that?? On my 3G 64 GB iPod, I play a game like worms (without wifi or bluetooth) for about an hour, an hour and a half and my battery is almost dead, with the brightness at about 50% with autobright on.

I must say it's jailbroken, themed and pretty full (only about 1,5 GB left of space), but I don't know if that's supposed to eat so much battery...
  5. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    For those of you that have shorter battery life, did you allow for the battery to do a full charge before you set it up and did anything? If you didn't you may have reduced the ability of your ipod's battery to take a complete charge.
  6. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Its normal i guess considering you have themes going on which add up to the battery sucking

it all depends of the game and how many resources it uses ann how well

this is where i complain about the battery life for gaming is just awe full.

sometimes i get 2 hours of game play if i am lucky 3 to 4 hours

But 6 hours of wifi internet is damn good
  7. maxam

maxam Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You actually have good battery life. Mines almost the same but my brightness is just 10% and I have themes running in my background
  8. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    update

Just a quick update for you all... I'm starting to feel better about the battery life on this WONDERFUL device!
    Last night I powered up after about an 8 hour charge. I turned wifi on and spent about 4 hours straight browsing the app store and downloading apps. I downloaded 20 apps in all and played with most of them for about 5 minutes each.
    After all that, it looks like it was somewhere around 30%! Left it sleeping all night, did not do a shut down, and was still at 30% this morning.

Maybe running a few deep cycles at first really breaks in that battery meter? Either way... I'm starting to get excited!

Now for those of you following this maybe I can ask you a few battery related questions.
    What would you reccomend as the best battery meter app for a non-jb Ipod touch? Secondly, do those battery meter apps put a drain on your battery? Are they constantly running in the background? If so I can do without it!
    Also, devices like the Mophie air juice... Once you start using those, obviously you'll get longer battery life. But my question is, does anyone have experience related to using one of these for a while, and then just going back to the stock battery? What I'm curious about is, do they have a negative impact on the actual Ipod's battery life in the long run?
    Say you can spend 5 hours online with the Ipod out of the box, after 6 months of using an air juice... and removing the air juice... do you still get 5 hours to a single charge?

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has contributed. I will keep this running for a few days just as an FYI situation.
    Thanks.