3D Optional on 3DS

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, May 8, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you don't really want 3D on the next Nintendo handheld, you can turn it off, according to Nintendo's president Satoru Iwata.

That was one of the things that was revealed during Nintendo's financial conference call earlier today: the 3DS, as it's being called, will have the unique capability of offering stereoscopic 3D, an effect not unlike what's being employed in films like Avatar and How to Train your Dragon, but without the need for glasses. But if you don't want to use it, it's a feature that can be deactivated.

Iwata was rather tightlipped about talking any other specifics on the 3DS, declining to answer any questions on the next generation handheld but ensuring we'll see more on the unit at this year's E3 in mid-June.

He did, however, acknowledge the potential for health side-effects and ensured that the 3D effect can be disabled easily and that games can be played without the stereoscopic feature.

So whats your thought?
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I think I won't buy this.

First off, I'm not even completely convinced in 3D. I think its a technology that is still in its infancy. I'm not totally convinced that it is that great (yes, I've seen Avatar in 3D, and many other films). I just don't think it is that great.
  3. Jelly

Jelly Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I've wanted to see what Nintendo would be like in 3D. It will be cool to see what they do with it. Hopefully they will break the Paper-Mario-only-for-consoles barrier and announce Paper Mario 3DS for the 3DS. Now that would be awesome. Mario and Luigi aren't cutting it

4. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How are they going to pull this off without the glasses?
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Why don't you ever post the source?
  6. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    they use an accelerometer/cam and as you tilt your device the perspective view of the game changes giving you a 3d effect
    Video showing it
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It also has to do with the type of screen they are using and how it renders image, the downside though is that you have to look on a specific angle directly straight at the screen, that is why it isn't used on 3D HD TVs, although looking straight at the screen shouldn't be a problem for a hand held with a small screen. Downside of it all is that in order to play games in 3D frame rates and resolution gets cut by a half, so i don't think we would be seeing anything superior to DS graphics on 3D, which i think is one of the reasons why they added "Optional 3D"

I just hope Sony gets their act straight and announce the PSP2 on E3 2010 and dont wait till 2011, cant wait to see eye candy graphics on a had-held console, and two thumb sticks! (big mobile gaming fan here)
  8. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Not really true,I think the ps3,in particular,has fps cut by half in 3d is due to stressing of the console,it has to do more since it wasn't really intended out of the box to do 3d. Also,like you said,the 3ds uses a different type of 3d,so the fps wont be cut,unless it runs at like 1080p or something lol. It will also have a greater cpu,ram and gpu. I believe the feature can be turned off in case your blind in one eye,or just don't like 3d,or both? lol
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It NEEDS to have greater cpu/ram/gpu to be able to run 3D at all, all i am saying is that 3D on gaming is a huge power hog, and not just the ps3, also the top of the line, newly released nvidia fermi and ati 5000 series struggle to run games on 3D and why they cant go above 1080p ( i am talking about the most powerful/hottest gaming GPUs)

All i am saying is that 3D games on the 3DS wont be all that attractive in other to run on playable FPS

I think developers will have the option to either develop on 3D or not, and the decision of turning the feature on/off will depend entirely on whether the game was designed with 3D in mind or not, i can see them having a feature like the nvidia 3D pack kit that atomically transforms non 3D games onto 3D which is not all that great for the obvious reasons.

Also i think that the best looking 3DS games are going to be the ones developed without 3D, as they will show the graphic quality of the new hardware without being taxed by 3D processing

Part of the reason i am not entirely attracted to 3D on mobile platforms, is that to my standards 3D should be utilized for photo realistic games, that's where 3D truly shines, not in DS Pokemon/mario like games, i mean the whole point of 3D is to add realism and immersion to the game/movie. Right?