3d object tracking symbols

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by berky93, Feb 24, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

I recal seeing in many places (such as the show Prototype This and the recent chicago auto show) technology that allows you to track a symbol printed on an object as a 3d object on your computer.

let me clarify. say you have a piece of paper with a smile printed on it. you tell the computer to track the smile. the computer shows a view from your camera input on its screen, and on the paper on top of the smile is a cube. as you rotate and move the paper in real life, it moves the cube on your screen, as if there was a REAL cube glued to your paper.

I really think that is neat technology, and I was wondering where I could find out more about it?
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ive seen this too and think i saved it to my stumble upon account. Ill send you a link to it later, or you can try to search my stumble profile user name is mattym246. I dont know if you can search the profile, if not ill post a link later.
  3. berky93

berky93 New Member

yeah I couldnt get username searching to work (trying actually crashed my browser - wtf) but I'd love to see the link. that tech looks really neat.

I was at the chicago auto show and there was an ad for toyota (I think) and there was a large plasma TV with a pile of cards in front of it. the cards had a picture of their new car on them. if you held up the card to the camera attached to the tv (which was projecting everything it saw ONTO the tv) the card would turn into a 3d model driving along a road, and tilting the card let you look at the car from all angles. it was so cool!