32GB iTouch = 29.96GB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Indianna, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Indianna

Indianna New Member

Hi, I finally was able to get the iTouch today after waiting a month for the shop to restock.

So, I just finished installing iTunes and connected my iTouch. It says the Capacity is 29.96GB instead of 32GB, is it suppose to be like this? Could anyone explain why it's like this? There has to be a good reason
  2. InTheMeanTime

InTheMeanTime Banned

wat is an itouch?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    its like that because the safari uses space to save url material and such as
  3. iEfforts

iEfforts New Member

Basically most if not all memory things are not up to par with how much storage the label says. I believe it's because of the hardware. Or maybe that's where the memory of the apps go? I'm not too sure.

Basically it's a marketing ploy.
  4. TheAviator

TheAviator New Member

It's fine, the rest of the space is being used by the OS. It's like that with ALL mp3 players. If you read on the box, it'll say that the size isn't always as marked. That's why.
  5. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

That is fine, software and other things take up memory, that is about what mine is
  6. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I too have the 32GB and when it is restored I have 30GB that is because the software takes up 2gb I believe
  7. jord

jord New Member

The OS takes up 250MB at most... your reasoning makes sense... but it isn't right.

The problem is with the math and how manufacturers of hard drives will advertise the capacity of a hard drive in a base 10 number system (decimal, what we are all used to) when in reality the hard drive has data stored in a base 2 number system (binary) which in the end will work out to less space.

An example ... a MB should be 1000 kb in decimal, but it's 1024 kb in binary

that extra 24 adds up, and eventually you run out of space and have a lower capacity hard drive.
  8. birdman472

birdman472 Guest

*sigh*.........
  9. Jharrelson140

Jharrelson140 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, it's because of the OS, firmware and applications.
  10. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah, in ads ad stuff it shows a * next to the memory size and it says 1gb=1,000,000kb so ur getting downsized at
    approx 24(pergig)X32(gigs)=approx 768mb, and when you add the OS and other system files, u get what u got. my sisters 8gig nano only has 7.5 gigs after restore....