32GB iPod touch 3rd Generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by andrew!, Apr 3, 2010.

1. andrew!

andrew! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have a 3G iPod touch 32GB. I saw on the main site that its recommended that I upgrade to 3.1.3 and back up the SHSH sig. I used the link in the tutorial, it linked me to another tutorial that explains how to get the ECID. I tried getting to purplera1n.com and it links me back to blackra1n.com. Also in the ECID tutorial thread, the last post was an admin or moderator saying there's a sticky in the iPod touch 3G section of the site. Unless I'm completely blind, there is no such thread.

So basically, I want to make sure that I can jailbreak if/when it is released. Everyone says to back up the SHSH sigs but then they also say that I can't do that unless I have the ECID which i can't get due to the purplera1n site not hosting the text box anymore.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there anyone that can tell me the basics as to what I need to do to "prepare" for the jailbreak?
    Thanks
    -Andrew
  2. br0adband

br0adband New Member

You back up the SHSH blobs before you ever think about updating to 3.1.3. Once you update to 3.1.3, you're screwed. All the hard work has to be done before you ever dream of doing the actual update.

If you don't, well... you're screwed, again.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Use the Umbrella tool to back up the SHSH blobs:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282684

The general rule of thumb is:

If that iPod touch doesn't have 3.1.3 already on it - pretty rare to find one without 3.1.3 on them nowadays, especially brand new ones - then don't put 3.1.3 on it AT ALL. Avoid it, never touch it, stay away from it, period.
  3. andrew!

andrew! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is from the top of that tutorial, it says "Who are on 3.1.3"
    Hahah I thought it was weird because a while back people said "Don't update to 3.1.3!!!!" but then these tutorials always say "Update now before Apple stops signing the 3.1.3 firmware!!!!!!"

Sooo confusing. I miss the old days when jailbreaking was as simple as jailbreakme.com
  4. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    No.. Don't update to 3.1.3 the SHSH backup things are just incase you are forced to 3.1.3. You want to STAY AWAY FROM IT. Sometimes if you need a restore this will ensure that you can get back to a jailbreakable firmware.

Oh, and sites like jailbreakme.com might be making a comeback. comex (a dude who found a good exploit) might be able to make it userland(aka jailbreakme.com)
  5. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Best advice:

Back up your SHSH blobs regardless of whatever firmware you currently have or might update to in the future.

It's a one time thing, and once you lose 'em - meaning the SHSH blobs - you can never get 'em back again, so... use Umbrella and store them for safe keeping, in multiple places with multiple backups.

That's my suggestion.
  6. andrew!

andrew! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've had 3.1.3 for a while and when I saw the warning to back them up, I was wondering how to do so.
    I figured it out though. Hopefully I'll be able to jailbreak if/when it comes out...
  7. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ECID you can get using ECID Grabber [By: Matt Furlong (difrnt)]
    which is an install or...
    a free MS app called UVCView.x86.exe - you have to click the Apple app (left window) then hunt for the ECID (right)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    So, my own prob......
    3G 3.1.2 - can't seem to get SHSH
    I have tried umbrella direct and via iReb - both say "no can do - sorry".

I read somewhere about problems with signing. Yeah?
    1 > can it be done?
    2 > is it done in DUH mode?
    3 > is DUH for this model the USB cable logo or a black screen?

I would r e a l l y like to have this before I jb.
  8. Toink

Toink New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you can't grab 3.1.2 SHSH blobs anymore

and "DUH", are you referring to DFU? if yes. then DFU mode is the black screen, while usb logo is recovery mode

9. andrew!

andrew! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you're on 3.1.2 and don't have your SHSH blobs yet then upgrade to 3.1.3 and get them. I got mine and I'm on 3.1.3.
  10. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @andrew!
    Yes, seems like I missed out there - DOH (as in mr H Simpson

as in DFU. thanks

@toink
    upgrade to 3.1.3 then means no JB

I guess I gotta JB and run the risk of the force 3.1.3 restore. Or whatever....? I am still a bit unsure about all the various possiblities around jailbreaking but, as a ipod noob (but not digital twit), am getting real frustrated with the apple jail terms - no USB file transfer being the main one.