300Mb in Itunes..

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by monkeyboytony, Oct 15, 2007.

1. monkeyboytony

monkeyboytony New Member

IF YOU HAVE THE 300MB, DO THIS TO REPAIR ONLY (VERIFIED)
    -. If you're not already there, navigate to /var/root and rename Media to Media_sym
    -. Rename Mediaold to Media. Keep the FTP and SSH windows open.
    -. Open iTunes and allow it to activate. If it doesn't recognize your iPod, reboot it and/or restart iTunes.

One question, as posted in the forum that if you get the 300MB in itunes, it says go to /var/root

HOW DO YOU GET TO VAR/ROOT? is that through the folders?

Thanks a lot...
  2. ramey

ramey New Member

SFTP to your touch and go to it there, or, use SSH.
  3. Optical1

Optical1 New Member

Could someone please explain terms such as sftp and ssh and how to use programmes like cuteftp and winscp etc in an idots fashion, you have to be some sort of 133t h4x0r to understand the jargon you lot use here.....

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. picaso

picaso New Member

5. Optical1

Optical1 New Member

Thank you for trying to help, but i mean a real idiots guide... lol

That is still too technical for me, i have downloaded winscp but when using it i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing and i don't see anything on that wiki article that is going to point me in the right direction...

Sorry for being such a noobie idiot!

And thanks a bunch for trying anyway!
  6. picaso

picaso New Member

SFTP is like secure ftp, ftp is for transfering files over network, you will need it to transfer files back and forth ur pc/ipod

so to make a new connection you need your ip address, username and password... so look around winscp, get your ip from your ipod and play around... you gotta play, sorry men i wont spoon feed you, 2 or 3 bricks later you will be a genius i promise you...

I promise i wil help recover yout ipod anyway i can so nothing ruins in perm... but i wont spoon feed you. Take chances

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Optical1

Optical1 New Member

Thank you...

I will get this done one way or another and thanks for the offer of making sure i don't brick it permanantly.

Picaso you sir are a top dude!
  8. Gurn Blanston

Gurn Blanston New Member

How about a little spoon feeding? I read through the SSH stuff on wiki, and it zoomed right over my head. I followed the spoon feeding Youtube guide, and things appear to have gone well except for the 300MB error.

Can I "SSH into my Touch" if it's connected to my PC through the USB cable? Or do I have to be connected via wifi? If it's wifi, then I'm SOL.
  9. mrdonk

mrdonk New Member

You need to be connected via wifi to use ssh.

You can also fix the problem without wifi right on your iPot if you installed either mobile finder or term-vt100.

If you have those, let me know and I can tell you exactly how (can't remember offhand, but can figure it out again if it'll help).
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Yes, the fix is as easy as renaming a folder.

(Because that's exactly what you have to do)

Think of SSH as a MSDOS or Terminal (depending on which OS you use) for your iPod. Using SSH, you can get in and do most anything that you can do in MSDOS or Terminal, including opening apps (very nice!).

An easy way to think of SFTP is like using your iPod as an external Hard Drive on your computer. To get something onto or off of your External Hard Drive, you need to drag and drop the files in to the appropriate places. Most ftp (and sftp) clients will give you the option of a two window format (which I prefer). The window on the left is usually your computer; while the computer on the right is usually whatever you are connected to.

In fact, the FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. It's jsut a way to transfer files. The S stands for SSH, which is a way to create a connection via WiFi.

Hope this helps.