iOS 3.1 3.1 Firmware for 2 ipods

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by movybuf, Nov 4, 2009.

1. movybuf

movybuf New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If I download the new 3.1 firmware from the iTunes store, can I use it on both my iPod and my wife's iPod? We both have 2G iPods running on 2.2.1 firmware.

I'm pretty new to the iPod game, so i don't know what I am doing exactly. If I buy the upgrade, would iTunes automatically ask me if I wanted to upgrade both iPods when I plug them into my computer?
  2. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You will be able to use it for both, even if it downloads it twice(it sometimes does, sometimes doesn't) it only will charge your account once.

So you can download it and install it and it will work with both, and if you plug them both in at the same time, it should install on both of the ipods. If it doesn't just look for the 'check for updates' button that the one that didn't upgrade and it'll upgrade it as well.
  3. movybuf

movybuf New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for the quick reply! Is it worth upgrading from 2.2.1 to 3.1?
  4. Sambo110

Sambo110 New Member

I would say yes. It is cheap, a few games/apps require it, a lot more will in the future, you can have more pages, the search page is very helpful etc.
  5. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    alot more features on 3.1 than on 2.1.1
  6. DarkKnIgHt007

DarkKnIgHt007 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, especially if you plan on playing some of the newest games.
  7. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Or copying things, or using Voice memo's, or a lot of stuff. Basically, well, it adds a voice record app (on an iPod touch you have to get a set of mic headphones to record things. Can be a hassle, but I like mine fine.) it also improves the homing capabilities of Google maps, as well as street view. It improves the speed of most of the apps. It also adds copy and paste across the device, as well as full search for the device, and search in the music app, mail app,and notes app. Also adds landscape view for notes and email. I feel like I'm missing a lot of things.

But yeah, as everyone else said, adds the ability to get more apps. Which was one big reason I upgraded myself.
  8. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Soon all updated versions of apps will require 3.1 or greater but some still hang around on 2.1.1
  9. movybuf

movybuf New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    One more question, while I have some of your attentions. If I upgrade to the 3.1.1 firmware, it will erase all of the stuff I already have and I'd have to resynch everything again right?
  10. Shamko

Shamko Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    not if you update...