iOS 3.1 3.1.1 Jailbreaking For Dummies

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iThrewMyiPodOutTheWindow, Jan 20, 2010.

1. iThrewMyiPodOutTheWindow

iThrewMyiPodOutTheWindow New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    Hi, I was wondering if there is an uncomplicated guide to jailbreaking a iPod Touch 3.1.1? I am not really understanding this whole concept of 'jailbreaking'.

And if I do decide to jailbreak, what sort of software should I use? I am definitly going to use Cydia for all the apps and stuff for my iPod. But, since I mentioned Cydia, how does it work? I know there is something about 'sources' linked to it, do these 'sources' let you download paid apps for free?

Sorry about all the questions, but I don't really understand. Feel free to move or delete this thread.

~Karl

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. iPodTouchHacker

iPodTouchHacker New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    go to http://cphacker0202.webs.com/howtojailbreak.htm
    that should help.
    it works for 3.1.2 and 3.1.1
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    oh sorry i forget. when you reboot it will show the "connect to itunes" symbol. plug it into your computer and itunes will say "your ipod is in recovery mode you must restore it" just open up blackra1n and click "make it rain" and your ipod will boot pup
  3. iThrewMyiPodOutTheWindow

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok, thankyou. I'm checking the site out now... may take a while since I'm still running on dial-up.

Speaking of which, are the desktop apps like blackrain and stuff large? (as in MB or GB)
  4. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no blackra1n is just to download cydia/rock. its almost nothing, but everything.
    and you cant talk about getting paid apps for free cause thats piracy and is not allowed on these forums.
  5. iThrewMyiPodOutTheWindow

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sorry! Ok, so is blackra1n recommended for 3.1.1 firmware? Or is there something else like blackra1n?
  6. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah blackra1n is the only jailbreak method for 3.1.x firmwares on 3rd Gen ipods for now. but its a tethered jailbreak. shouldnt be a big problem.

and why not upgrade to 3.1.2 first?
  7. iThrewMyiPodOutTheWindow

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Upgrading on my dial-up computer is not a good option, considering the update is 300+ MB. I might download it after we get broadband (in at least 2 more days).

When you say 'tethered', what do you mean by that?
  8. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah i got dialup too. sucks alot.

tethered means that everytime you fully shut down your ipod, you will get the connect to itunes screen on your ipod when you turn it on and you will have to boot it with blackra1n again from your pc to get past that screen. it only applies to 3rd Gens and the newest iPhone 3GS
  9. iThrewMyiPodOutTheWindow

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So.. uh.. it would be best to just put it on sleep mode? Do I still charge it from iTunes?
  10. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah it would be best to do that. not only does it prevent that, but it also saves alot of your ipods battery. You can still charge it and do all the things you normally do with it like sync and all that.