3.0 downgrading

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by freddy12, Mar 20, 2009.

1. freddy12

freddy12 New Member

Hey all im here needing some help, My brother used my ipod and updated to the 3.0 firmware that just came out and now i cant seem to get the songs on there so im trying to downgrade back to the old 2.2.1 firmware but i cant seem to get it to work so if someone could help me by giving a step by step on how to do it that would be greatful thanks

i have a 8gb ipod touch 1gen
  2. newtro_tony

newtro_tony New Member

Are you on a mac or PC? Have you heard of periods? jk
  3. freddy12

freddy12 New Member

Im on a PC.
  4. newtro_tony

newtro_tony New Member

Then I won't be an expert, but you should find instructions elsewhere on this site to go into DFU mode for XP or Vista (I don't know if there's a difference). Once in DFU mode, an iTunes pop up to guide you through restoring will show up. Just make sure you shift+click on"Restore" to select 2.2.1 instead of just restoring to 3.0 again.
  5. jeayese

jeayese New Member

Well I am on a Mac and I cant seem to downgrade.. I have read some stuff about using a install_iousbFamily_kext_10_5_5.zip

tried that but it seems to quit.

I have no USB hub, No windows PC, I am a Developer, and I would like to get back 2.2 on my ipod Touch.
  6. skc132

skc132 New Member

The method I know and have used restores you back 2.2.1 but you have to jailbreak. but you go to itunes and click restore, let it do its thing until it gives you an error. after that put it in dfu mode and jailbreak (using pwnage tool, redtool, quickfreedom, ect)
  7. snotboy33

snotboy33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I got 1604 error all the time... no success downgrading to 2.2.1
  8. medicus85

medicus85 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    put it in dfu mode an restore via shift + restore

something else you can easyly syn your music if your itunes cant connect to the internet with 3.0
  9. snotboy33

snotboy33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    dfu mode shift+restore dont work. Im on windows xp (preparing to restore then I got 1604 error)
  10. rogatsby

rogatsby New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Unfortunately, once you install the 3.0 firmware, you are locked into it and there is no way to restore to an earlier version.

This is from the Apple Dev site:

“By installing iPhone OS 3.0
    beta software on your Authorized Test Devices, these Devices are permanently
    “locked” into testing mode and cannot be restored to earlier versions of iPhone
    OS.”

Seriously, anyone who is not a dev and installs the beta one their device is being stupid at this point. Of course, someone will probably find a hack or work-around or something, but until then, your ipod will be crippled. People should just wait a couple of months and buy the upgrade.