3.0 "Bricking" - The Facts.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by Ryan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    There have been many rumors flying around the internet about the fact that updating to the 3.0 Firmware will essentialy "Brick" your device.

Here are the facts that i have gathered from looking around.

The 3.0 Firmware needs to be registered to the device to run.
    The 3.0 Firmware for the iPhone 3G will update the baseband.
    The 3.0 Firmware for all over devices can be restored from.

The reason that people are claiming the 3.0 Firmware is bricking their devices is either that..

They are not a registered developer and therefore the device wont sync with iTunes.

Or that when iPhone 3G users go to downgrade to 2.2.1 from 3.0, they find that its not working due to the fact that it still has the 3.0 Baseband installed.

Therefore we have this problem, people are downloading the 3.0 firmware for the 3G, installing it (and updating the baseband), getting to the point where iTunes wont let it run because they are not registered. The user thinks, screw this im going back to 2.2.1. They restore back to 2.2.1 and realise that it wont work because its still using the 3.0 baseband.

Now, i really dont see how the iPod Touches can be bricked or rendered inoperatable due to the fact that they have no baseband to update and all that is changed is the firmware. A DFU mode restore should be able to put it back into the 2.2.1 firmware. The problem with the "not being able to sync" thing, is due to an activation problem. This is when the iPhone has to be activated when you restore in order to run. It was like this before. Now, seeing as the iPod Touch dosnt have to be activated, it is possible that this problem wont even arrise. All theory of course.

Not sure if 3.0 updates the iPhone 2G (1st Generation)'s baseband, if it did, it would be the same case as the 3G.

Therefore, unless you are a developer and can run the firmware, dont install it. Its really not worth it...

In a nutshell...

IF YOU UPDATE TO THIS FIRMWARE YOUR BASEBAND WILL BE UPDATED AND EVEN IF YOU DOWNGRADE TO 2.2.1 YOU WILL STILL HAVE THE 3.0 BASEBAND WHICH WILL NOT WORK WITH THE 2.2.1 FIRMWARE SO YOU LOSE THE PHONE FUNCTION.

All this information is just theory and based upon things i have come across on the internet over the last few hours. I am not held liable if you use this information thinking you will not have problems and then your device breaks.​
  2. Ruamrudee

Ruamrudee Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    cool thanks
  3. willdacracka

willdacracka Member

Device:
    iPhone
    it seems safe enough for the 1st gen iphone :3
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    ok thanks, need pure evidence though to be able to update the thread, dont want to post misleading information n all

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. owned674

owned674 New Member

For the 2G iPod touch, your device would still work and everything but just not be able to sync music with iTunes, correct?
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Some iPod 2G users are saying that its syncing fine

The problem with the "not being able to sync" thing, is due to an activation problem. This is when the iPhone has to be activated when you restore in order to run. It was like this before. Now, seeing as the iPod Touch dosnt have to be activated, it is possible that this problem wont even arrise. All theory of course.
  7. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So.. The one firmware works on all three devices???

And iPod Touch is down gradable correct?
  8. 2g4me

2g4me New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no, the one firmware does not work on all 3 devices.
    Yes it is downgradeable and so is the iPhone. Just put her in ol' DFU
  9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    nope.
  10. mfleigle

mfleigle New Member

Having 3.0's baseband does not brick 2.2.1. I can confirm my 3G is 100% functional after downgrading from 3.0.

The only thing it bricks is yellowsn0w, but 2.2.1 did that already
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Please Register or Log in to view images

Doesnt brick! Hate when people spread lies