3.0: 7A238j Review

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by brendanm, Apr 3, 2009.

1. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Hey,

So many people were very cautious with this new firmware coming out, I mean, there goes the precious jail-break for a little while, so we thought. I've decided to give the 3.0 Firmware/Software a little spin, the version I got as mentioned above is 7A238j according to the firmware/software file I obtained. I was really worried about getting this because I knew it would be really buggy, laggy and could possibly just end up making things a lot worse for everyone. I knew that it wouldn't be fully fixed, thought through and with ANYTHING and EVERYTHING there will ALWAYS be SOMETHING WRONG. So, I took the fact into consideration I can give up the jailbreak and move ahead of everyone else with getting the new firmware/software. So, I did. Now, I've taken time to examine what I've seen on it so far, so here it goes:

The battery life: This is something I thought would be improved. It hasn't been, some of you may think it is but I'm positive that it's actually worse now. The search function could be to blame, or it could be a kink in the actual firmware/software not stopping or killing applications when it should. You loose in my opinion about half an hour to an hour of steady music play-back without the screen on. Although, I'm sure with the final 3.0 firmware/software the battery life will improve!

Application compatibility: I noticed that some of my applications didn't run, and when they did run they were super laggy and crashed quite frequent. It was like suicide bombings in afghan, every few minutes my application would crash and it just lead to a lot of frustration. But I understand that Apple isn't the only people who are responsible for keeping applications up to date, it's the actual developers!

GUI, look and feel:
    There really isn't any notable changes in the GUI, user-interface or feel. However, the added search function which was added on the left side and the only other thing I noticed was on the notes it now has landscape mode, which I personally wish every application and the home screen itself would have... Hopefully, Apple makes it happen although I wouldn't get my hopes up!

Stability: We kind of had a give and take type of trade on this with Apple... Some applications are a lot more stable in some ways, others arn't stable period. Now, I'm sure this will be fixed but the time being with the firmware/software I have with it... Safari is a lot faster and a lot more stable, rarely crashes but Mail crashes quite frequent and can't refresh and such. With Safari, on a lot of sites, when you re-load the page it doesn't re-load stats like latest posts, inbox and on the full facebook site it doesn't give notification information which was a huge disappointment because that's pretty much all I do on there!

Over-all bugs I noticed:
    - When turning down volume on lock-screen, no pop-up, pops up to inform you of what the actual volume level is.

- While watching videos, the volume goes up-side down as if you were watching from the other side.

- Accelerator doesn't work properly under videos, I used to be able to flip and switch sides and now it doesn't do that.

- Bluetooth wouldn't load my phone, don't know if it was a problem on my end or the actual iPod's end though!

- Music doesn't always run in the back-ground while running Safari like before.

- Keys lag when typing anything through notes, mail or Safari or any application for that matter.

- When switching before external and headphones, usually need re-boot to get any sound period.

And that's about it for now. I have not attempted to jailbreak it for obvious reasons which I don't believe I need to state right now, with that said, tomororw afternoon I'll be posting screen-shots of my iPod Touch running the firmware/software!

Hope some of you enjoy this and find it useful, I'll update it as I explore the firmware/software further,
    Brendan
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice.
    You do know that Mail, Notes, iPod, Calculator and Safari all support landscape now, not just Notes though, right?
  3. jk21

jk21 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice review the BETA 1 and 2 complete jokes. buggy as crap ruins my Ipod and then apple lock it so you cannot downgrade of course unless you use third party, who wouldnt be insane then to downgrade I just hope for the best.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    wrong. DFU and restore. Win.
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why in the hell are people reviewing/giving reviews of Beta software? It is GIVEN that there are problems with it.
  6. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nobody knows. Attention?
  7. JustinCarpenter

JustinCarpenter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I don't understand why people complain and post bugs in beta software. That is why it is called beta software. I hate that Apple made this so readily available for everyone.
  8. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Boredom?

For the record, not having anywhere near the issues the OP is having on my iPhone running beta 2. In fact, quite the opposite for me. I found the jump from beta 1 to 2 is rather quite large and the fear I had of running my primary iPhone as a development phone as well has be allayed.
  9. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I like to keep people informed. And safari was always land scape, and calculator but none else right now are giving that option.
  10. nunchuck

nunchuck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the battery's not very good because of the debuggers in the background should improve when its released to the public.