3.0.1 upgrade noob questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by KalleKanin, Aug 30, 2009.

1. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I want to upgrade my 1st gen iPod Touch 8gb from 2.x to 3.0.1 and jailbreak (on a Mac), but as usual there are a lot of things that I do not understand from all the many tutorials and posts I have read:

1. "For both 3.0 and 3.0.1 firmwares, you should point redsn0w at the 3.0 IPSW", it says. But if I buy the firmware through iTunes, won't that be a 3.0.1 firmware? Where is the 3.0 IPSW I should point to then? Does upgrading download both?

2. Can I backup my email account info and configurations and preferences like that which has taken a while to tweak and put in? Or will iTunes backup preferences and restore them later?

3. Is it true that I will no longer be able to have my custom wallpaper, my custom icons and custom dock? I don't care about other theme things, I just want these features. Is this currently impossible or is it just that it is currently impossible with Winterboard?

4. What is this about permanent bugs if one installs Cydia and this Icy thing at the same time? What is Icy and if I don't install Cydia at the beginning, where will it come from later? From Icy? Or should I pick Cydia and get this Icy through that? But I read that Cydia doesn't really work so...

5. Is it true that I am likely to have WiFi problems under 3.0.1? Web browsing is mostly what I use the iPod for.

6. Is upgrading premature if we can expect a 3.1 very soon?

Trying to post this again. It didn't go through on the first attempt for some reason.
  2. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

The iPod touch can't get 3.0.1 firmware. It was made only for iPhone because of a SMS vulnerability.

1) It will be the 3.0 firmware.
    3) Winterboard works fine.
    4) I don't know. I don't have Icy.
    5) Wifi is a little bit worse in 3.0, I'll admit.
  3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    There is no 3.0.1 for iPods.
    Only 3.0.
    3.0.1 is for iPhones Only.
    While jailbreakng with Redsn0w, uncheck icy and only install cydia because, yes, you will get errors later.
  4. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I see! That is why everything I read was so cryptic then. Somehow I missed that part.

Thanks a lot! I may as well go ahead then. Hopefully the new games and things won't be 3.0.1 only. I don't really need to upgrade, but there are a few new apps I really want which are 3.x only.

A shame about WiFi instability. But I suppose they will fix it.

Thanks a lot for the info and fast response!