* 2nd Generation Ipod Touch Jailbreak is NOT a GOOD IDEA *

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by midnight0045, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midnight0045

midnight0045 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    to all you haters:

VIDEO : http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/midnight0045/?action=view&current=100_0702.flv

one week later since my ipod was working fine and booting from the jailbreak.. i am now sending my non-bootable ipod to apple for a replacement

Their Email

We have received your request for a replacement IPOD TOUCH (2ND GENERATION). Your Repair ID is D21304666.

Serial Number: 1A839H94203
    Problem Description: Power - Will not power on

Notice to Consumer: Please read important information at the end of this email message.

Our initial diagnosis indicates that because your product replacement will likely be covered by the warranty, an AppleCare Protection Plan, or another Apple repair program, there should be no charge to you for the service performed. If we have questions or concerns regarding the repair coverage, we will notify you.

If you have owned the product for more than 180 days, and if the product is not covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you will be assessed a shipping and handling charge.

Within two business days, you should receive a package at this address:

The package will contain shipping materials and instructions for you to return the original product to Apple at this address:

Apple Service Operations
    ATTN: WUR Service, Repair ID D21303666
    3011 Laguna Blvd., Building A
    Elk Grove, CA 95758

Please don't ship the original to Apple in any other package, because if it is damaged in shipping as a result of improper packaging, it will not be eligible for service and will be returned to you unrepaired. Do not include any other items, such as headphones, as they will not be returned to you.

To avoid cancellation of this replacement request, you must return the original to Apple within ten (10) business days. If you no longer require service, simply dispose of the package Apple sends you.

Your repair status is available online.

If service is covered under warranty or an Apple extended service contract, the terms of the warranty or the Apple extended service contract will apply. Otherwise, the Apple Repair Terms and Conditions apply.

Apple

despite everyone's advice on here, which ends up being everyone saying "dude, just DFU mode it and you'll be fine" ... despite all this, the ipod will - not - boot or go into DFU MODE.

i honestly think that this jailbreak process is corrupting these 2nd generation ipod touch's... and i say this from seeing countless non-bootable ipod jailbreak issues on this forum site in just the last week...

people get into a certain understanding about the 1g jailbreak because, since it was untethered, a "brick" possibility .. was way out of the question... NOW there is LOTS of new factors involved with this jailbreak and i think it is ultimately killing these ipods

If you are thinking about jailbreaking.. don't.. wait for a non-beta UNTETHERED jailbreak.. who gives a sh*t how long it takes.. those who were too anxious to wait for a more secure jailbreak are at a loss in my opinion.. i think these ipod's are unstable in a tethered jailbreak...

my advice to users with jailbroken 2g? restore to apples 2.1.1 and just relax because my case isn't the only one and i think that the new processors that are in the 2g ipod are different (better) than 1g but they seem to not handle constant DFU mode or handling the tethered jailbreak

this is my experience and my opinion, i know i'm not the only one on this site who feels this way but take my 2 cents as you please

other threads

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144322
  2. kylepsp

kylepsp New Member

No its just people not being able to follwo instructions properly
  3. midnight0045

midnight0045 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    that isn't true, that is a biased opinion

like you know? your ipod works fine.. you don't have any troubleshooting problems.. who are you to say there aren't special cases? i could send YOU the stupid ipod and YOU couldn't even boot it
  4. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Working fine here. I don't know what you did to it.
    And yes, we know. I have jailbroken many iPods and tested many programs on my iPod, still works fine.
  5. vannmann

vannmann New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    send it to me. i have already redone the jailbreak for people that say " i can't get it in to DFU" or " my ipod is bricked". seriously, its all about reading instructions. but send it back to apple if you want!?
  6. Chelsea878

Chelsea878 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm sorry, but I think the problem is with the user.
    As the hardware is the same in all iPod Touch 2G's, and it's working on a few, then I can't see how the JB is the problem. The JB doesn't say "Midnight0045, I don't like you" and then corrupts your ipod for fun.
    It either works for everyone, or it works for nobody (since it's the same hardware). And, given i've got a working JB'ed 2nd Gen iPod Touch sitting right here in my hand, i'm inclined to see it as a fault with the user.
    I'd be willing to bet all the problems are the fault of users who just don't follow instructions or skip steps (e.g. not installing LIBUSB), or those who don't know how to use DFU mode etc.

It either works for everyone, or it works for nobody, and my iPod has been jailbroken and working perfectly from 30/01 (about 3 weeks).
    So, try again and stick closer to instructions.

If you really can't get it working, then I can help you do it over remote assistance over MSN. (Sorry if I come across as a bit harsh)
  7. iVick

iVick New Member

You didn't read the instructions right.
  8. tracershot899

tracershot899 New Member

Definitly sounds like a PICNIC problem....well in this case a PICNIIT problem. Meaning "Problem In Chair Not In Ipod Touch" originally "Problem In Chair Not In Computer"
  9. midnight0045

midnight0045 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i have already done everything.. really it hasn't worked for a week

1. plug in the ipod touch

2. vista pops up a window, "unrecognized USB Device"

3. DFU Mode process, timed perfectly with the power button release at 10 seconds and holding home button for 30-45 seconds after power button release

8 seconds into the DFU process, windows beeps telling me there has been a disconnection of the unknown usb device

5. 2 seconds later i release the power and continue holding the home button for 30 seconds

There is NO NEW BEEP after this step .. there is no new window from vista recognizing the ipod touch, itunes does not open prompting a restore..

i can't use ANY one click booters because the ipod wont fully go into DFU mode

my timing is perfect, i have used all usb ports, i have restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled libwin/itunes/mobiledevice support
  10. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i would take that bet. heck i'd give it a shot. my ipod is fine, and i'm not saying that there aren't special cases, but if everything was done properly, u should be fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.