2nd gen iPod touch won't go into DFU mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by freespeaker, Feb 2, 2009.

1. freespeaker

freespeaker New Member

I apologize if this has already been answered but I'm out of options at this point. I have a 2nd gen iPod touch with firmware version 2.2, I have been attempting to jailbreak it using Pwnage. I get up to the point where I am supposed to put the iPod in DFU mode using timed button presses. I have repeated this same damn sequence of button presses dozens of times now, I've tried different timings, different button sequences and still Pwnage gives me a dialog box saying that it failed to into DFU mode. From the information I have gathered it seems possible to jailbreak a 2nd gen ipod touch, I just don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Here is what I have done step by step so that someone may spot my mistake.

1. Restored my iPod to firmware version 2.2
    2. Started up Pwnage
    3. Pwnage links me to a website when it said I didn't have the right firmware, I then downloaded what I perceived to be the correct firmware from this website. The file is called iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Custom_Restore.ipsw
    4. Pwnage builds the custom ipsw file and I save it to the desktop.
    5. The instruction screen for DFU mode comes up, and though my ipod has been plugged in the entire time, it tells me to plug in my ipod. The only way I got passed this point was to hold the home and power buttons until the ipod went into recovery mode, then restart it again using the home and power buttons. At this point Pwnage tells me to turn my device off, I do so, and it starts the whole DFU button pressing process. When this inevitably fails, I am forced to repeat the entire process of putting the iPod in recovery mode and back again.

I have done this dozens if not hundreds of times and I have trolled the internet for some solution to this problem and found nothing. Any help anyone can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. himynameisjuan

himynameisjuan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm pretty sure "iPod1,1" refers to the 1st Gen iPod. That might have something to do with your problem..
  3. ice_cold_irony

ice_cold_irony New Member

Search google for touch firmware download and there is a .de site which is good. The touch firmwares are the last two.

As to DFU mode, as far as I know that's what recovery mode is. If itunes opens automatically and says it detects an ipod in recovery mode etc. that is the DFU mode.

Now, I actually cannot get mine to go back into DFU mode, never had trouble with it before, I am doing the same processes and others but it just does a really slow reboot.

Any ideas?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    NVM now I got it.
  4. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    You can't jailbreak 2nd gen ipod touch with pwnage, or with any other tool, at this time.
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  6. calebk

calebk New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can not jailbreak the ipod touch 2g! However there is a program called redsnow at www.redsn0w.com which lets you jailbreak your device. The problem with this though is that it is tethered which means you have to plug your device into your computer every time you want to use the jailbreak.

Hope this helps
  7. memo90061

memo90061 Member

I have jailbreaked my iPod touch several times without a problem and now I'm having a problem. Mine is a 1st generation though. I installed 2.2.1 and I tried to jailbreak it with QuickPwn and I can't get it to go to DFU mode. I follow the steps but I keep getting these message.

Please Register or Log in to view images

What can I do? I'm getting tired of this.

Please Register or Log in to view images