iOS 4.0 2nd Gen. iPod touch won't download iOS4

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by chriss, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Well, my iPod touch won't download the new OS4.
    I have the latest version of iTunes, I'm told the new software is available, and I clicked on it to update, but it told me that I should back up all that is on my iPod into the iTunes library as a recomendation.

Either way, I click continue anyway, I get a second pop up, telling me that all my purchases, music, videos, etc. WILL be eliminated from the iPod, so I must back it up yes or yes.

When I click continue, it says it's copying my iPod, and then it just stays stuck. It takes about 20 minutes for the bar to move a teeny tiny mm., and it doesn't seem to go any further.

Also, the first time i tried updating it, on the downloads section on the left menu bar of iTunes it said the software was downloaded, but now I can't even access that "downloads" file...

Help please?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. alihamilton

alihamilton Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would like to know if ANY 2nd Gen ipod touch has been able to successfully upgrade to iOS4? All I see is that so many people are having problems. Mine is similar to yours, chriss, though I see no sign of a download! Mine gets totally stuck at back up, whereas my backup usually only takes a couple of minutes. I have very little on the Touch at the moment, so it is not as if I do not have space. Even though I am longing to get the upgrade, I will wait to see if Apple gives a statement on this. At least mine still works on the old OS. Some people seem to have lost wifi, or their Touch is just stuck and cannot even be used right now.
  3. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
  4. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I was able to successfully install the OS4 on my iPod 2nd Gen. lastnight.

Though, I ended up deleting basically all my music, as well as some free apps I had laying around and videos (though this was most likely not needed, it surely made the back up faster).

Bad thing is I can't remember exactly how I made it do the back up, but it was not through clicking the button to install the new OS. I was trying to transfer apps, doing syncing options, and it basically did a back up then and made a copy of all my stuff, and so I left it on over night as the back up would take at least an hour or two, then by the time I woke up the OS4 was installed, and I was able to use the back up to place all my paid apps + images back into the iPod

Please Register or Log in to view images

If it worked for me, it can for anyone, and it's worth it!
    It may not have the coolest features, but it runs smoother and faster it seems, and looks much nicer really, feels pretty new and fresh C:

Good luck trying to install it!
  5. lilazndood1

lilazndood1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I tried installing it today and it worked for me. I can confirm this; however, the backup process did take a long time but it was all worth it after jailbreaking. =D
  6. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    What does the jailbreaking mean?
    Like... what does it allow? And how do I do it?
    Because I'm guessing this will most likely be the last Software update for 2nd gen iPod's xD

Does jailbreaking just allow free games and stuff?
    Can anyone let me know? C:
  7. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    No, jailbreaking doesn't make anything free. It basically allows you to install apps not approved through the Apple App Store. These "jailbreak" apps can be found in Cydia, a program that will be installed when you jailbreak. For second generation devices, the current version of jailbreaking software is redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4. It also allows you to enable several of the more advanced features of iOS 4.0 that are disabled by Apple for second gen devices.
  8. je1230

je1230 Member

jailbreaking is basicaly gaining the ability of installing 3rd party applications via cydia
    and yes you can get free games and stuff
  9. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes jailbreaking does allow third party applications, themes, tweaks, etc. to be installed, but as games go, that is what the appstore is for.
  10. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Ohh okay, thank you!
    I guess stuff like letting certain features from the OS4 which are not available for 2nd gens. be used on it after jailbreaking aren't possible then?

Like, if I "jailbroke" my iPod, i'd still have the same type of ipod? it would allow features like multitask? xD