2nd gen iPod Touch - screen - contrast ratio issue?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by z1f0, Sep 12, 2008.

1. z1f0

z1f0 New Member

hello

i was wondering if anyone else have this problem / issue

what i notice in the 2nd gen ipod touch compare to the the 1st gen touch

is the the differences in contrast of the screen

1st gen ipod touch appears to be darker
    and 2nd gen ipod touch lighter or "washed out"

the black in the 2nd gen doesnt appears to be black black, if anyone knows what im talking about

and when comparing to the magenta or blue 2nd gen also appears lighter

mind you i have set both brightness setting to FULL bright and NO Auto-brightness

i can understand that there is off course difference in LCD but the difference is quite noticeable

if anyone else have this issues please voice your concern I hope im not the only one out there.

i would ideally prefer the screen contrast to be in between the washed out of my 2nd gen ipod touch and the 1st gen ipod touch

and is there a way to fix it?

cheers
  2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Really?
    I think both of mine are identical :\
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Your probably going to have to take it to Apple and get it replaced. Weird though.
  4. rash219

rash219 New Member

If i were you i would head down to the apple store and ask them for their demo model and compare them right there and then
  5. z1f0

z1f0 New Member

too an untrained eye you may not notice it

heres how so to compare

place both ipod next to each other side by side on a flat surface

go to
    1. SETTINGS
    2. BRIGHTNESS
    3. set BRIGHTNESS to FULL
    3. Auto-Brightness - OFF
    4. then go to GENERAL
    5. WALLPAPER
    6. WALLPAPER again
    7. select GLOBE picture - DONT hit the SET WALLPAPER - just leave it there

look @ the blue water
    compare the images
    repeat with

7a. select the 1st column, 3rd row image BLUE bg and black lady image
    compare the images

7b. select 2nd column, 2nd row image PURPLE girl image
    compare the images

you should notice see a difference in the shade of colours

I can understand if its only 1 or 2 shade difference this is equates to about 2% difference but it appears to be more than 5% difference in the contrast

and this is an issue because its LIGHTER thus the ideal colour is INCORRECT.
    as it EXPOSE the NOISE in the image which makes the image looks GRAINY.
  6. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Oh yeah..
    I mean..
    I'm always on full brightness and the safari icon looks paler on the 2G iPod.

But that might be to save battery? They would've done it for a reason.
  7. z1f0

z1f0 New Member

i dunno about trying to save battery... doesnt make to compromise colours over batts

in simple terms if you compare the 1st gen ipod n 2nd gen side by side

just hit the CALENDARS

u should notice 2nd gen ipod appears to have a YELLOW TINT thats where the contrast ratio problems
  8. Nawaaz91

Nawaaz91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    it looks yellow-ish compared to what the 1G had.
  9. mikemolang

mikemolang New Member

I have the same problem...

I bought a 2nd gen iPod Touch about 2 months ago. I immediately noticed a difference in sound quality between that unit and the other iPods I have used. I sensed harshness, pops, ticks... Noise and distortion seemded more evident (and annoying) than I had ever noticed on other units. I would go back and listen to the same song on another iPod, and found those same sounds were there, but still, something seemed different. I was constantly finding myself wincing and saying "there it is again" whenever using the Touch. So yesterday I exchanged it for a new one. So far (very limited testing) the new one seems less annoying, but here are some other things I noticed:

1) Washed out screen, just as you described. Yellow tinge, black not black, a bit less ledigble... My last unit was visually perfect. This one much different.

2) The following is not verfiable, since I had to return the old one before getting the new one, so I am working from memory and impressions... However, I THINK that the speaker in the latest one is a bit louder (a good thing).

Bottom line is that I have seen some definite variability (screen) and I have some suspect other variability (audio through earphones, audio through speaker). The screen issue you are seeing is probably real, but in my experience not simply a Gen 2 problem.

I am hesitant to try another unit because who knows what the next one will bring. A few more days of listening with earphones should help me decide if the audio problem is licked. The Apple store is 1H 20M away, and the Circuit City did me a favor by exchanging it well beyond their 30 day period... The unit is certainly usable, but it does not delight...

M
  10. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Well, Momma always said that buying a 2G is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

On a more serious note, the 2G has a yellow tinge (that's all I've noticed in difference. Any differences that take longer than 3 seconds to find aren't worth mentioning, IMO).

I will say that my 2G has a definite better audio quality than any other iPod I've used.