iOS 4.0 |2nd Gen. Device Users| Unjailbroken vs. Native Multitasking vs. Backgrounder?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SilentWalker, Jul 1, 2010.

?

[Read Post First] What do you PREFER on your 2nd gen. device?

1. Apple's native multitasking

38 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. Backgrounder and activator

33 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. An unjailbroken device

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    For those of using the iPhone 3G, 2nd generation or 8GB 3rd generation iPod touch ONLY

Which are you running AND what do you prefer? Please consider the following in this order and then vote in the poll above:
    • Speed of Device
    • Functionality
    • Battery life
    • Ease of use

Right now I'm in the process of restoring, an I'm contemplating whether I should re-enable multitasking, or just use backgrounder with Activator, or jut not jailbreak at all.

On my 2nd generation iPod touch, I previously had native multitasking enabled. I loved the fast app-switching, but when two or more apps got backgrounded, my device became painfully laggy, and certain apps crashed quite often. But I love the quick access to Music controls and Portrait-orientation lock.

When I used Backgrounder with ProSwitcher, I could have controlled which apps I backgrounded, and I only did that with one or two apps (Facebook, MSN). However, it was somewhat laggy (not that much though), and too many MS extensions drain battery and decreases your device's overall performance. And the number of taps/home-button presses take away from ease of use. It just doesn't seem as solid an experience.

Obviously right now staying unjailbroken is by far the fastest and smoothest experience yet, but I don't know if I can live without multitasking.

So what's your solution. What are you using and what would you prefer?
  2. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well
    4.0 multitasking is better on battery and doesnt sacrifice that much speed, but yeah like you said, you cant choose what apps to background.
    I personally would stay with the 4.0 multitasking because the apps on the appstore are now functioning more efficent because they were redesigned to work with the multitasking.
  3. xXSamXx

xXSamXx New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Im thinking about switching back to jailbroken 3.1.2 BECAUSE of multitasking. I love backgrounder, but you need to have proswitcher! I'm shocked at the number of people who don't know this. Here is a quote from mygreatiphone.com;

"Proswitcher is a front end to the app backgrounder. It allows users to easily switch between apps with a simple gesture.

The app comes from the Palm Pre WebOS idea and looks similar.

The app uses a libary called libactivator and allows users to pick a gesture to start Proswitcher running. This could be anything from a double tap of the status bar to pinching the icons on the Springboard"

So in short Proswitcher lets you switch between you backgrounded apps!

(Can i post a link to the website i got that from or is that against the rules?)
  4. DonVerse

DonVerse New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    just search for proswitcher in cydia in should be there, right?
  5. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I don't like none of them. I prefer having total control over my apps without having to open a multi task menu. But if i'd use something, it would definitly be proswitcher.
  6. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Good grammer

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyway on topic, i am kind've stuck here too, i'm trying to decide what is more important/better, battery life, lag, multitasking, or proswitcher on 3.1.3?
  7. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm using native backgrounding on ios4 lagless... anyone else? or just me..
  8. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea. Right now, I think it would be awesome if the devs made some sort of hook into Apple's current multitasking system where all apps are closed as normal, but will be backgrounded using Apple's native method with the use of any gesture (like those that exist for Backgrounder with Activator). I think this would be the most efficient.

Remember, we are talking about 2nd gen devices only. Newer devices have absolutely no problem with handling Apple's native multitasking. It's smooth and fast.
  9. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    What can you expect from a none native speaker?
    Well B2T: I activated my Multi-Tasking via SSH - I donesn't lagg at all on my iPod, even though I have 3 or 4 apps in that mode. But my battery suffered deadly pains, haha. I guess I'll stick with having it disabled.
  10. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh, sorry man didn't know you weren't a fluent english speaker

Please Register or Log in to view images

And yeah my battery suffers too. I'm just going to have it disabled.