2nd Gen. any better than 1st gen fully updated?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wallerwaker, Sep 22, 2008.

1. wallerwaker

wallerwaker New Member

Hi, i´m pretty new in the iPdo Touch world and i have to buy a device in these days. Of course, i have a doubt
    Should i buy a 2nd gen (very difficult to get in my country yet) or get a 1st Gen with FW 2.1? any big difference aside the speaker and volume ctrls?
    With FW 2.1, is t worth to jailbreak?

thanks for the help
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Second Generation. It won't be a while until the dev team jailbreaks it.
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

or
    these guys
  4. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    go with the 2nd gen touch it's so much better
  5. buckycat

buckycat New Member

Get the 2nd gen. It is worth it to jailbreak 2.1, but not possible(yet) for the 2nd gen.
  6. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

The differences are exactly what you stated. They added a speaker and volume controls.

They also changed the shell a little bit, but that's not exactly a "feature."

Personally, I just bought a clearanced 1G. I had it jailbroken and loaded up with my music and apps in about 30 mins.

As far as jailbreaking 2.x firmware being worth it, absolutely. You see, the App Store is great. However, a lot of apps aren't allowed there - emulators for example. Stuff like Winterboard (for customizing), and MXTube (Youtube video downloader) is also prohibited.
  7. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think it's more of a matter of personal opinion, however, myself, I can't see any reason to invest in older technology. Any improvements will moreso be to their most recent product (not that they'll cut 1G f/w updates or anything, just in general).
  8. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If apple does reinstate the at home activation then I recomend getting a iphone and unlocking it with quickpwn or pwnage. After all the iphone is not only 20$ cheaper now, but it has more features. and if it is unlocked you can just use it as a ipod with a camera, better speakers, and there is alwase the iption to use it on a at&t account even a pay as you go account.
  9. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

What other support, exactly, do they have? Apple updates firmware, which they've already said that they will keep doing for the 1G. Apple hardware (docks, headphones, etc) are universal for all iPods, so that's out.

What other support do you need?

Also, I'd just like to point out how asinine it is to call the same basic device "old technology." It's the same exact thing, with slight changes. A weaker processor for maintained profits, a slight design change, and a speaker. That doesn't justify referring to the 1G Touch as if it's some outdated POS.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was more referring to the processor & hardware as for support. Apple isn't going care as much about the old Touch in a year from now.

As for old technology, I understand it's the same thing, but it's obviously old as they've rebuilt (even if that is downgrading the processor) and changed around the hardware for performance gains. I'd call that newer technology.