2G worth it??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ccy656, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ccy656

ccy656 New Member

OK so I am a long time mac fan. Got my first iPod when the 1G classic was current. Then I got a 4G color years later when the 1G conked out. Then I got a 5G video a year later (August 2006) because it came almost free with my mom's laptop. So here I am, still with that iPod 5G. I want to finally get a touch now. It never occured to me to get one last year because the prices were so ridiculous - and because I just bought that video the previous fall season. Now that the prices have gone down and another year has passed, I am ready to buy.

But since the new iPod isn't THAT much different than the 1G, logic tells me that next year's model may be VERY different and I will feel all outdated and be disappointed that I can't buy it. I am not one who would ever buy an iPod in 2 consecutive years, so if I get it now, I get another one in Fall 2010 at the earliest.

I know what a lot of people will say - if you like it, buy it, and don't worry about ti being outdated because it will be. I guess my question is, does it seem to everyone else that next year's model will be THAT revolutionary that someone who won't buy one two years in a row should wait until then?
  2. jr23

jr23 New Member

yes its worth it. Dump the fatty!
  3. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    honestly, I dont see a new one in 1 year being all that different from what it is.....its damn near perfect...the only thing I see changing is longer battery life and more space for cheaper......but if a new one comes out in a year you can still sell the one you get now for about half price and get the new one....whatever.

You can;t wait to get something because something better might come out.
  4. ccy656

ccy656 New Member

Good points gentle - I've further convinced myself to buy. It's great how iPods keep their value relatively well over a year to a year and a half.

I do think that next year's may be significantly better somehow...of course I can't tell you how besides GPS (but GPS isn't that serious, to me)...but they will find a way to further improve...maybe a real speaker, etc. We'll see when next year comes.
  5. Ratslayr

Ratslayr New Member

What got me to finally purchase one was the features + price combination of the 2G. I still find the 32g over priced, but the 16g is at a nice level. Combined with the new features, a years worth of bug fixes and the app store taking off, it was a nice time to settle in with a shiny new PDA/iPod.

When the first line came around, it was really cost and gimped functionality that prevented me from getting one the first time around.
  6. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    get it now there is still going to be a whole year ahead to play w/ the ipod. plus this thing is constantly coming out w/ software updates do u will never really be outdated